Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Richard Spoor (1831-1878) and Elizabeth Stones b abt 1827

Hello all. I am hoping to expand my knowledge of the surviving son of a couple you so kindly helped me with in another posting. So far, I have only beeen able to find one child born to Richard and Elizabeth: Ann Eliza Spoor b 30 April 1864 in Sheffield. There is a marriage apparently for her on freebmd in Sept Qtr 1881 in Eccleshall Bierlow. Try as I could, I cannot determine which man she married: either William C Webser or Thomas Widdowson. She does not appear in any census I have been able to check. I would really appreciate knowing more about Ann Eliza Spoor's spouse and any possible children she may have had. I should also add that I stand ready to be corrected that Richard Spoor and Elizabeth Stones may have had additional children!

Re: Richard Spoor (1831-1878) and Elizabeth Stones b abt 1827

Pat,
The GRO index , free to use, answers all your questions.
There is a birth for Gertrude Ann Webster mmn Spoor in 1884 Ecclesall Bierlow, and a second child in 1886.

With regard to Richard Spoor and Elizabeth Stones it looks like Elizabeth was a widow when she married because the GRO index says that Anna Eliza Spoor born 1864 had Mmn Greenwell. There are also several other children to this couple, All were born Newcastle on Tyne.
Ann 1869
George Ambrose, 1871
Maud 1873
Amor Sidney 1876
Dave
Edit the Spoor Greenwell children were all born Newcastle. There is no birth registration for Eliza Ann Spoor in Sheffield between 1859 and 1869, and there are no Spoor Stones children registered anywhere in that period.

Hi Pat

Following on from Dave - as well as Gertrude Ann in 1884 I've found

Mabel Born 1886 - Ecclesall Bierlow
Harold Born 1891 - Ecclesall Bierlow

Theyre on the 1891 census living in Cecil Road, Ecclesall Bierlow but with Anns birth down as 1857 - the same as Williams!

Denise

Patricia,
Ann Eliza Spoor with mother maiden name STONES was birth registered in 1854, not 1864 as you said.
The GRO index confirms that there were no other Spoor Stones births in England and Wales.
Dave

Hello all you most wonderful people! I am absolutely thunderstruck at all the information you have so kindly provided. Please let me apologize for my abrupt ending to my original post, as my computer had some issues...It will take me a while to glean through this information and I want to seriously thank you so much for your assistance. Most sincerely, Pat Hughes

Hi Pat,

Have you looked at the 1871 census for Richard Spoor. Son of Michael born 1831.

They have a cousin living with them. Ann Wright who states she was born in Rawmarsh.

Could be connected to Eliza Wright.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hello Elaine! I suspect you are correct about that, however, I have not been able to make a definite connection. Several of the Spoor men have married sisters, as in the case of the Ellis family. Thank you for your interest! Sincerely, Pat

Patricia
Following the discovery in the 1871 census that Richard Spoor had a servant called Ann Wright who was his cousin, Elaine and I decided to pool our resources to see if we could establish a link from Ann Wright to Eliza Wright, Richard’s elusive mother who died before the 1851 census.
Ann Wright was born Rawmarsh about 1855 and from FMP her parents were Joshua Wright (born 1833 Rawmarsh) and his wife Mary. They are together as a family in 1861 in Rawmarsh and in 1851 Joshua (17) is together with his 2 brothers Samuel and William and their mother Mary Goldborough as stepsons to John Goldborough. In 1841 they are with their mother, Mary Wright, a widow.
Joshua’s baptism (1833) is on Family Search and FMP, which also has baptisms for Samuel and William (1826). All three have father Joshua and mother Mary. The death in Rawmarsh of their father Joshua in 1837, just before civil registration began, is on FMP and gives his year of birth approx 1804.
So we have a Joshua Wright born 1804, the grandfather of Ann Wright b 1855 and we are seeking an Eliza Wright who would be Joshua’s sister if Ann Wright is to be Richard Wright’s cousin.
On FMP there are but a handful of baptisms for Joshua Wright in the whole country in the period 1800 to 1805 and we have checked them all for having a sister named Eliza. Only one fits the bill:
A Hides Samuel Wright and his wife Mary had daughter Eliza Wright in 1799 and son Joshua Wright in 1804, bothbaptised at Sheffield Parish church.
This combination makes Ann Wright b 1855 first cousin once removed to Richard Spoor, and second cousin to Richard’s daughter Eliza Ann Spoor b 1854.
We do not know what records you have access to. Please ask for any of the details of the above records if you cannot find them.
Dave

Hello everyone who has done such a wonderful job of helping piece together the Spoor/Wright relationship. I was going back over a posting concerning the children of a Spoor/Greenwell marriage: specifically, I happen to have purchased both birth and death civil certs for one Amor Sidney SPOOR b 28 Dec 1875 in NewCastle, NBL who also died 22 March 1872 in Newcastle. The GRO shows a Spoor Father and a Greenwell mother. HOWEVER, the birth cert states the family was living at #3 Charlotte Street in Newcastle when Amor Sidney Spoor was born. As such, it would appear to me that his Father would have been Amor Harding Spoor and his Mother Annie Hendry Greenwell who married in 1864 in NewCastle, NBL. This raises the mystery of their POSSIBLY being TWO Spoor/Greenwell marriage...... I really hate to stir things up, but am I missing something obvious?? It just seems as tho there are two families with the same surnames..... HELP! (again!) Thanks again for all your most wonderful help. Sincerely, Pat Hughes

Dave T
Pat,
The GRO index , free to use, answers all your questions.
There is a birth for Gertrude Ann Webster mmn Spoor in 1884 Ecclesall Bierlow, and a second child in 1886.

With regard to Richard Spoor and Elizabeth Stones it looks like Elizabeth was a widow when she married because the GRO index says that Anna Eliza Spoor born 1864 had Mmn Greenwell. There are also several other children to this couple, All were born Newcastle on Tyne.
Ann 1869
George Ambrose, 1871
Maud 1873
Amor Sidney 1876
Dave
Edit the Spoor Greenwell children were all born Newcastle. There is no birth registration for Eliza Ann Spoor in Sheffield between 1859 and 1869, and there are no Spoor Stones children registered anywhere in that period.
Hi Pat

I've revisited the marriage of Richard Spoor to Elizabeth Stones - in Sheffield in 1855.
Elizabeth was down as a Spinster, not a widow. And Ann Eliza was born in 1855 in Sheffield mmn Stones.

So Im thinking that the Spoor/Greenwell family is a different family - given that all those children seem to have been born in Newcastle, and Richard and Elizabeth seem to have always lived in Sheffield?? I think the confusion might have crept in when you initially had Ann Eliza down as being born in 1864 - which then produced the Spoor/Greenwell information.

Denise

Hello Denise. Thanks for clarifying that Elizabeth Stones was a spinster. I think that clarifies that there was only the one Spoor/Greenwell marriage. Thanks to you and everyone who responded to my query and I am so sorry for the typo on Ann Eliza's birth. 😢

Most appreciative, Pat