Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CLARA JANE BUXTON

I am looking for a Clara Jane Buxton according to the 1851 census she was born in Haxey Lincolnshire living with her father John Buxton and her step mother Elizabeth Buxton nee Wheatcroft and her sister Maria all named as Benston? and living in Ecclesall Bierlow. The 1861
shows that Clara J. Buxton was living with her step mother Elizabeth and sister Maria in Nether Hallam, Ecclesall Bierlow. this is all I can find about her, I have had searches done by Lincolnshire Archives and the GRO and searched other ancestry site but no luck. John's first wife was Susanna Webster.
I would be very grateful if anybody could tell me what else I can do to find Clara's birth record and what happened to her after 1861?
My very best wishes,
Fred Wheatcroft.

Re: CLARA JANE BUXTON

Hi Fred, Could the census record be wrong about the birth place? There is a Clara Buxton born 1847 Ecclesall Bierlow mother Carnall, and a marriage John Buxton to Elizabeth Carnall April 1839 and a death record for Elizabeth Buxton 1848 Ecclesall Bierlow aged 30. Then a Marriage of John Buxton to Elizabeth Wheatcroft Jan 1851 Rotherham. Regards Barry

Hi Fred

I'm struggling to find some of the information you've provided so could you just confirm the following (to get a timeline to work backwards)

John Buxton married Susannah Webster in 1836 in Haxey

A quick check for Buxton/webster births:

Sarah Ann - 1841 Gainsborough Union
Jane - 1843 Gainsborough Union - Death for Jane Buxton in Haxey in 1847 aged 3

Theres a death for a John Buxton aged 2 in 1841 - Gainsborough Union. Found a corresponding birth for John Buxton in 1838 mmn Webster, but in Reading. (Worth noting that John gives his occupation as Tailor/Journeyman so could/would have moved around??)

I've also found a Buxton/Webster birth in Sheffield
Eliza Ann 1845 - dont know if this is relevant???

Theres a death for Susannah Buxton died in 1850 (aged 49) in Haxey, so assume this is Johns Wife (?)

After the death of Susannah John moves to Yorkshire and in Feb 1851 John (widow) marries Elizabeth Wheatcroft in Rotherham

On 1851 census in Sheffield- listed as 'Burston'

John
Elizabeth
Sarah Ann (aged 9)
Clara Jane (aged 2)

With both Sarah Ann and Clara Jane listed as being born in Haxey

Maria Buxton (mmn Wheatcroft) is born in Sheffield in 1851 so assume Elizabeth was pregnant at the time the census was taken.

I'm then struggling to find the 1861 census record in Sheffield for Elizabeth, Clara J and Maria you've mentioned - so is Elizabeth widowed at this stage??

Denise

Hi Barry,
Thank you very much for your very kind reply,The Clara Buxton you mention is notthe one I am looking for but the but the marriage of John Buxton to Elizabeth Wheatcroft is correct This was Johns second marriage.
Best Wishes.
Fred Wheatcroft.

Hi Dave,
Sarah Ann Buxton was the first daughter born Oct - Dec - 1841 and baptized 31 - 10 - 1841 in Haxley Gainsborough. her mother Died Apr - Jun - 1850 and buried 27 - 05 - 1850 age 39 in Gainsborough Elizabeth was a widower by the 1861 census ED institution number 46 household schedule number 18 piece 3475 folio 88 page number 3 John Buxton died Apr - Jun 1858 age 46 he was buried 01 - 06 - 1858 in Heeley Vol 9c Page 145. I think this one I am not going to find.
My very best wishes.
Fred Wheatcroft.

Hi Fred

Thanks for the clarification (that 1861 census entry seems to be missing from a couple of other sites and Ancestry was the only one I hadnt tried!).

So next question just trying to tie Elizabeth Wheatcrofts history down - she was down as a spinster aged 39 when she married John Buxton in 1850.

I cant find her on the 1841 census (could just be me again!). Are you confident that she was a spinster and hadnt been married before - ie Clara Jane was her daughter either from a previous marriage or out of wedlock so may be registered in another name ? (if we temporarily ignore that fact that Claras place of birth is Haxey on 1851 census and Westwood on 1861 census).

Denise

Hi Denise,
Thank you very much for your very kind reply. Clara was Elizabeth's step daughter by Her Husbands first marriage to Susanna Webster Susanna died in 1850 in Gainsborough. I use Ancestry, Genes reunited and Find my past as my search stations I have had no luck on any other sites.
My Very Best wishes
Fred Wheatcroft.

FMP indexes the 1861 household as 'BRIGHTON'

Hugh