Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
William Charlesworth between 1855 and 1875? continuation of the marriage ??

There is a marriage 28 November 1891 for a Mary Ann Middleton age 32, (birth 1859) to Samuel Shaw fathers name George Middleton. Could this be the missing George Middleton?? It doesn't say George is deceased.
If George is still alive perhaps Sarah Ann (Wales) married to George Middleton never did marry William Charlesworth, they just enjoyed living together!!!

Continuation of the previous mention of William Charlesworth marriage
Barry

Re: William Charlesworth between 1855 and 1875? continuation of the marriage ??

Barry, have you considered that George Middleton was actually George Hattersley, the illegitimate son of Ann Hattersley?
If he later became Middleton after his mother married ! It is feasible he could later revert to Hattersley, perhaps even being buried as Hattersley.
Dave

Hello Barry et al,
This is a very complicated family.
Re: George Hattersley Middleton, this middle name only seems to appear on record, in his marriage to Sarah Ann Wales in 1859.
1851- Smith Field, Sheffield
James Wolstenholme (shoemaker) age 37 born Dronfield
Ann Wolstenholme (nee Hattersley)wife age 34 born Sheff.
George Wolstenholme, son age 13 born Sheffield
James Wolstenholme married Ann Hattersley at Sheffield in 1838, coincidentally, the same birth year, according to census records for George.
It is possible that James W. married Ann H. because she was pregnant with either someone else's child or his own.

1861 - Christ Church, Attercliffe
James(47) and Ann Wolstenholme (43).
George Middleton age 23 (son-in law??)labourer in sand
factory.
Sarah Middleton age 20 (wife)
Mary Ann Middleton (daughter) age 3
Jas. (James) Middleton (son) age 0

In 1871 James(57) and Ann(52) Wolstenholme are still residing in Attercliffe and have an adopted child, Joseph Clegg age 7 from Grimesthorpe. The deaths of James and Ann are on S.I. website in the same grave.
COMMENT: It looks as though George Middleton will remain elusive

Your query about Samuel Shaw and Mary Ann Middleton. Mary Ann was a servant in the Shaw household in 1891 (Arundel Lane) she already had a lovechild, Sam Shaw Middleton age 13 living with this family. Samuel Shaw Jnr. married Mary Ann in 1891 Sheff.
Check out S.I. obits. for Samuel Shaw died 1922, you will find others of interest in same grave.
Also of interest is Clara Ellen Charlesworth born 1869 who appears to have married as Clara Ellen Middleton to Henry John Garnett at Sheff. in 1888. (If this is correct that puts George Middleton as the father, which means he is still around in 1869).
on the 1901 census, William Charlesworth now age 68, is a lodger with the Garnetts on Arundel Lane whilst Sarah Ann Charlesworth (wife) is a charwoman age 61 living on Sylvester St. along with 5 of her sons.
COMMENT:This maybe your William Charlesworth B:1834 Bolsterstone with possible parents-John Charlesworth and Ann (nee Hattersley)married 1824 Ecclesfield. Sorry I could not find any marriage for William to Sarah Ann either.
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Wendy just noticed your reply, sorry for the delay in thanking you.
I will have to go over your answer thoroughly.
Incidentally I notice you say Guelph, I live in Brampton is this the town not far from me?
Thanks Barry

Hi Barry,
If your Brampton is in Ontario, then yes, we are not too far away from each other.

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy: