Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tracing ex WW2 pilot Frederick Ogden

Trying to trace the exRAF pilot Frederick Ogden from Sheffield who flew a small plane to Australia in 1945 with his wife and small daughter in 1945 with a leaking petrol tank . he hoped to develop a link for business that he realized was a possibility having been sent to Australia to help keep the Japanese from invading Australia and flew and shot down some of their planes .

Re: Tracing ex WW2 pilot Frederick Ogden

Hi Pat,

Do you know if he came back to Sheffield after the War. 1945 England was just demobbing their forces. I would not have thought their would have been much time for him to think of a possible job opportunity and have his family join him by 1945.

Guessing here but I used 1910-1920 time line on Free BMD and came up with three possible candidates.

Births Sep 1910
OGDEN Frederick W Hemsworth 9c 208
Births Sep 1912
Ogden Frederick Driver Ecclesall B. 9c 917
Births Sep 1916
Ogden Frederick Fox Sheffield 9c 1116

Where did you get the story you quoted? Is their a newspaper article to go with the story.

Have you checked out the 1939 Index to see where he was then.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Ther are several newspaper reports on fmp about their arrival in Darwin in late September 1946.
It is clear he was with 54 squadron which took part in the Dunkirk evacuation and in the Battle of Britain. The movements of this squadron in Ww2 are shown in great detail on line.
They were formed in Hornchurch and following the Battle of Britain went to Catterick for a while to recover and presumably take on new pilots.They moved to Australia in 1942 and eventually to Darwin in 1943. At this stage they were reported to be inexperienced and their Spitfires very leaky.
The squadron was disbanded in Melbourne in August 1945.
A new 54 squadron was formed after the war.
The newspaper reports of the family arrival in Darwin say that their plane was named Yorkshire Lass, it took off from Croydon, and the child was 6 years old.
I assume the craft was named either for his wife or his daughter.
Dave

Fantastic researching Dave,

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

The following is a possible ID

Marriage, Q4 1938 Sheffield Fred Ogden to Barbara I Cullen

Birth Q4 1939 Sheffield Pamela A Ogden MMN CULLEN.
This is the only Ogden Cullen child born between 1938 and 1950.
Note she would be 6 years old in September Q 1946
The marriage cert should be revealing, and the birth cert should confirm or deny the father as a pilot.
Note that Pamela was born AFTER the 39 Register but Barbara I Ogden should be there.
Dave

Hi

In one of the newspaper reports, it states that the Ogdens Sheffield home was

35 Stanwood Crescent, Malin Bridge, Sheffield.

Hope this helps with the search

Sue

Some people may be aware that there is a fantastic Australian newspaper site called Trove https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/

A quick look found a report in which pilot Fred OGDEN of Connellan Airways (Northern Territories) described the crash of a plane as he was taking off from Hooker's Creek. The report was in the Centralian Advocate 6 Feb 1953. His wife is mentioned but not named.

Hugh

A story before they set out from England was in the Australian Women's Weekly 17 Aug 1946. It confirms the name of the daughter as Pamela. It also has a photo of the Ogdens (minus Pamela) and two other ex fighter pilots who had business plans in Australia and who were also intending to fly their planes there.

Here's a snippet:

'Daughter Pamela, hugging her
koala, has some strange ideas
of life in Australia.
"As I won't have to go to school
I think I'll spend my time riding and
swimming," she said, with all the
confidence of a six-year-old.'

Hugh

Hugh, my thanks for that source of Aussie newspapers. One for the filing cabinet.
There is also a report there of the Ogden arrival in 1946, and it too names the daughter as Pamela.
Best regards,
Dave

Sue S
Hi

In one of the newspaper reports, it states that the Ogdens Sheffield home was

35 Stanwood Crescent, Malin Bridge, Sheffield.

Hope this helps with the search

Sue
Not there in 1939.

Aside: in 1939 that address was the home of Walter "Battleship" Millership of Sheffield Wednesday

Hugh :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Hugh

Just looked at the 1939 register and I think Barbara is living at 103 Green Oak Road

Barbara I Ogden b.16 Nov 1907
Ivy K Ogden -Dononoe b.4 Oct 1912
one person record closed.

This ties in with a birth announcement in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph on 22 Dec 1939.

OGDEN-On Dec 20, at Beauchief Nursing Home, to Mr and Mrs Fred Ogden(nee Barbara Cullen), of 103 Green Oak Road, Totley, a daughter. Both doing well.

Sue

Hi Sue , many thanks
for this imformation

Hi Elaine , thank you for your help . I have looked on Free BMD and found two of those you mention , I am not sure which of the them could be the Frederick Iam looking for or my neighbour who's family have found newspaper clippings about him in an elderly family members family papers , and wonder how he is related to them . I am hoping to find out who his father was , so that I can help them work out just how close he was to my neighbour . Regards Pat

thank you Dave , this has been a great help and does confirm some of the details that we suspected was connected to him .The war record you have supplied gives more details of the little that we knew , and it would seem that he chose a very aft name for his Proctor plane. We did not know the name of his daughter or wife or if he stayed in Australia , but we did suspect that he and an EXRAF comrade started a freight air business in Australia . Many thanks for your help I have not been able to trace his name on the WW2 service records . but your details are a huge help |Thanks.

Dave many thanks , this is first time we have heard of the name of the child , and that is a great help , I had found out about an Isabel Ogden arriving with another ex RAF pilot in either 1945 or 1946 which will try in with your details . Regards Pat

Hi Sue , this address is will be a help tracing the family now that I know the name of his wife , Regards Pat

Hi Dave , I will send for the marriage and birth certificates , they will be a good guide to who his father's name was , as I think that is the generation that are close relatives to my neighbour , whose family name was Ogden. Ia m very grateful for your help . Regards Pat .

Hugh , many thanks for this information , as it seems to tie up with the few details that my neighbour has had passed on to them that he paid £1400 for a Proctor plane to fly to Australia with his family and start a business from a local Sheffield paper from 1945. I will try to find that Womens Weekly with he photograph in which might let tham see a likeness to their family .
Regards Pat .

|Hugh , the footballers name in connection with the address , is fascinating news , as ancient football fan the name rings a few bells with me .thanks Pat

Electoral Rolls

Fred (pilot), Barbara Isabel and Pamela Anne (nurse) OGDEN are listed in Applecross, Fremantle Western Australia

Fred and Barbara Isobel[sic] are in Alice Springs

Back in Applecross, only Barbara Isabel is listed

from Scotland's People:

Barbara Isabel CULLEN was born in Morningside (Edinburgh) in 1907
In 1911 I think she was in Bathgate, West Lothian

In 1929 and 1934 there are entries in The London Gazette and the Edinburgh Gazette which show a Barbara Isabel CULLEN working for the Inland Revenue - not sure where. The 1934 entry shows her promotion from 'typist' to 'clerk-typist'

Hugh

Hugh your details are a great help, a we did not know where in Australia the family had been living . many thanks regards Pat .

The death of Barbara Isabel Ogden is on Ancestry. It gives her parents names as Christian L and James.
Also on Ancestry is a newspaper notice on the death of Fred Ogden on 25/2/1970. I cannot see it but it would be useful if it gives his age
Dave

Dave thank you for the latest news on Fred and Barbara Ogden you have been a great help , I will look up the details that you have found . Regards Pat .