Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Burial record for Ernest Thorpe

Hello

I'm looking for the burial of Ernest Thorpe, (my Great Uncle) birth 24 October 1877 Sheffield GRO 9c 606

Possible death March 1955 age 77 GRO 2d 177 (haven't ordered a certificate yet).

On 28 March 1920 Ernest married Ida Mary Mitchell at Ridgeway,

From your site I have found Ida died in Aug 1965 at 29 Norton Lane Sheffield,
burial Grave No. J41 Section A of Intake Cemetery, along with her parents and brother.

They lived in Hollinsend for many years, his mother and father and a lot of his siblings are also buried at Intake Cemetery.

Any help would be much appreciated

Best Wishes
Chris

Re: Burial record for Ernest Thorpe

Hi Christine,

You have given us lots of information but the burial might be hard to find as many of the indexed records have not been transcribed beyond 1910. I presume you have looked at what we have transcribed? Have you looked at the 1939 index? They were both alive then. There could be clues there.

Do you want to go back or do you have all that information.?

Happy Easter.

Elaine in Ottawa.

PS Looked at the 1939 index and they are at Croft Road, Intake.
Ernest's father Joseph is with them and he died the following year buried Intake Cemetery.
Odd but it seems that Ida Mary is in a Mitchell grave. No Ernest.

Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Elaine

Thank you for your reply, and Happy Easter to you too.

Ernest's death is a mystery.

do you think that if Ernest was buried in the Mitchell grave he would have been transcribed?

When I get chance I will go and have a look at that grave.

On ancestry someone has put that Ernest died in 1918, and lots of people have copied that death, I know Ernest lived on Croft Road as my mum and dad told me he did, also I have found 13 electrol roll entries for Ernest and Ida Mary between 1923 to 1948. All the time they were living at Intake.

Can you advise of any other place that I might get his burial information please.

By the way fantastic site you have here, I mainly look at Burial Records but I know there is lots more information on here.

Thank you again.

Best wishes
Chris

Hi,

So the 1939 index bears out what you already know.

I Wonder.

Hollinshead where they seemed to have lived for many years. Would be in the
Ecclesiastical parish of Gleadless Christchurch. S&DFHS have indexed to 1906 only.

We have transcribed Intake Cemetery so he should be in our database. If not then I would doubt he is there.

If we could enter a birthdate for all the deaths after 1939 registered at the GRO that would bring him up for sure. BUT.. I dont think that is possible. Because Ida is with her Mitchell relatives I wonder if Ernest is with his. His father is in Intake.

When all else fails that 1955 death maybe the way to go. Order a pdf copy cheaper.

Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Elaine

Thanks so much for your reply.

I have ordered the PDF, in my mind I am sure this is him as the age would be right. Which would be the first step to confirm his death, but where is he buried!!

I have just been to the Cemetery, found the Mitchell grave and it doesn't look like he is it there, also looked at the Thorpe Grave and no he's not there either.

Best Wishes
Chris

Hi Elaine
Just found his probate, he died 18 February 1955, so where is he buried???

Chris

Could he have been cremated?
Dave

Unfortunately I've no idea.

Just presumed as everyone else seemed to be have been buried then he would have been.

Chris

Hello Christine
An Ernest Thorpe aged 77 was cremated at City Road Crematorium on 23rd February 1955. His cremation number is: 20553 and Bereavement Services can tell you what became of his ashes. regards, Christine Steers

Hi Christine

Thank you so much for that information, that's answered my query.

That's definitely my great uncle.

Much appreciated.

Regards Chris.

intake cemetery

Hi Christine

I have emailed Elaine re queries at Intake Cemetery, and she has said that I need to either contact yourself or David Yates, I have found David's contact at Friends of Burngreave cemetery, but with you replying to my query at Intake cemetery I thought maybe you would be the person to contact, but I can't find any contact details for you.

If you email me I will be glad to let you know my findings.

Regards
Chris