Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Record of a burial

Hi
can anyone help with finding a burial record for Annie Eliza Eccles, she died in the ecclesall union workhouse between 1917 and 1920 and i believe she may be buried at Wardsend Cemetary. She was born around 1875.
Thankyou
Keeley.

Re: Record of a burial

Hi Keeley,

I believe that S&DFHS have a CD with all the burials for St Philips & Wardsend.

You could also contact.

Wardsend (St Philips) Cemetery

Contact George Proctor at wardsend@gmail.com

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi,

Is this the death registration. (Its from FreeBMD)

Deaths Mar 1917
Eccles Annie 26 Sheffield 9c 747

Do you have the URL.

Always better to quote what you have tried.
Helps us eliminate possible leads.

Elaine in Ottawa.

PS I can't see she is in Wardsend.

This could be the reason she is not showing up.

t. Philip Shalesmoor 1829-1905 & 1918 and Wardsend Cemetery 1857-1905 Burial Records

Download: £ 3.95
Add this item to your basket
Transcriptions of burials in the churchyard of St. Philip's and its cemetery at Wardsend. This parish church served a large working class community to the north west of the city centre. Wardsend Cemetery in the Upper Don Valley was opened in 1857 to cater for parish burials when the small churchyard became full. Includes some military bruials from Hillsborough Barracks.
Download Details:
Downloadable data in Pdf and Excel.

Supplied by: Sheffield & District Family History Society
Format: Edelivery
Ref: SHE-G616

All S&DFHS material is sold by GENFair

https://www.genfair.co.uk/supplier.php?sid=106

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Elaine
i have found her burial it was the 31st of august 1920 and it is saying her burial was at Sheffield St Phillips, i think Warsend was part of the same church but im not sure. Thankyou for your help
Keeley.

The churchyard was officially closed in 1857, though there was a small number of burials in existing plots up to 1918.

Most St Philip's burials from 1857 onwards took place in Wardsend Cemetery.

The FHS transcription ended in 1905 and did not include grave references. You can find an augmented version with the references in the Friends of Wardsend Facebook group. For burials after 1905 the only sources are the original volumes in the archives and FMP. From FMP...

Wardsend
grave NP986
Ann Eliza wife of Edwin ECCLES
10 High House Terrace died at 32 Union Road The Edge
buried 31 August 1920 aged 48

I cannot find any other ECCLES burials in this grave. There could be people with other names buried after 1905.

NP in the reference refers to the New Portion opened in 1901 (above the railway). According to the plans this grave does not have a gravestone.

Hugh