Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Autosomal DNA results

After researching my family tree and pondering for years I decided to treat myself to a Autosomal DNA test. I received the results the other day.

I am staggered by the results:

I am 89.4% United Kingdom of which 27.4% are from South Yorkshire (as I expected)
10.2% North Yorkshire (also expected)and smaller quantities from other regions in the UK.
I have researched my tree extensively for 20 years and am quite confident that most of my discoveries were correct until this....

The remaining results all 10.6% of them informed me that I am of Chuvashian descent. Well, I said, where is this Chuvashia. Answer, Russia!

There has been no indication of foreign influences in my tree ie surnames, and I am at a loss as to where to go from here.

This discovery has aroused my curiosity further and I am open to suggestions regarding immigration to the UK from Europe.

I am also aware that I have thousands of ancestors and it may not be possible to isolate this particular gene input.

I am open to further research suggestions from all of you knowledgeable family historians.

Delia

Re: Autosomal DNA results

Maybe it might be an idea to have the same test done by a different company, and see if they come up with the same results.
You would then know for sure if the original results were correct.

Heths

Heather,
I have asked my brother if he would mind doing a test just to try and prove my results weren't a fluke.

Am I being over simplistic?
If 10. 6 % of your DNA is from some other distant place, that should mean that one of your parents had 21.2% of it, and one of their parents had 42.4% and one of their parents (1of 8) had 84.8%.
If that is true and there was a single input then it can only be from your great grandparents downwards.
I would be very suspicious of the identification of the 10.6 % with a small, distant geographical area.
No doubt someone can show I am talking rubbish
Dave

Hi Delia

Do bear in mind that even if your brother does take the test his results could differ from yours, due to the way DNA randomly passes down.

I took a test some time ago and got the results I expected based on my research over 10 years. The company then 'updated' their DNA processing and the new results basically blew out of the water most of the earlier results and didnt reflect what my research showed.

Below is a really good website for understanding how autosomal DNA sequencing works. If you follow some of the links theres also good articles on the major DNA companies and how they all vary.

https://lisalouisecooke.com/2019/03/30/dna-ethnicity-percentages-may-vary/

Denise

Hi Delia,
I had my DNA done by Ancestry too and originally they said I was 24% Scandinavian 24% Western European. A significant % Eastern European and only 13% Irish and 12% English. This was news to me! They updated my results later to being 87% from the British Isles and only 7% Danish. Their explanation was as more people do the test their analysis gets more accurate! Sorry but I would expect a few tweaks but a dramatic change! :neutral_face:

Thank you everyone for your input.
I am still digesting the results and looking very closely at my tree.

It seems that the possibilities of my DNA results changing at some time in the future may happen.

I will wait and see, but in the meantime I will look for some answers.

Delia

Hi Delia

Some of my Sheffield relatives by marriage took the DNA test and came out as a low percentage Russian (or region in Russia) like you. After doing extensive tree/family history research I unearthed the fact that their great grandfather was a Jewish tailor living down south, whose children had all been Jewish, with Jewish names, though born in England. Tricky at that time to be Jewish in England, so all children were baptized later on the same day into the Christian church, and changed their first names to the Christian equivalents. Later moved up to the north for work, then later one branch to Sheffield. None of my relatives knew they had any Jewish blood at all from four generations ago. A lot of Jews from Russia came to Europe like this. So I would always check out a Jewish connection when a low Russian percentage is given, especially these small regional names within Russia where the persecutions took place.

Thank you Paula that is very interesting information and I will take note.

I do have one missing great grandfather, my nana who was born in 1909 never knew who her father was. My great grandmother was living in a small village in Dorset at the time of her daughter's birth. Being between censuses it has made tracing records difficult.
Since my DNA results I have been looking for roving Russians in that area. :smiley:

I am pleased to say my South Yorkshire relatives have been a doddle to trace.

May I recommend this site to get a background on genetic testing: http://www.oum.ox.ac.uk/settlers/

We might well share genetic material with Russian people, but that doesn't necessarily mean we're descended from Russians. The length of the genetic sequences should show how far back apparently distant characteristics were incorporated into our heredity. We're all the product of waves of human society, all moving from time to time, and there's no such thing as an original British population. On the other hand, the background genetic characteristics of Pennine Yorks & Lancs, & the northernmost bit of Derbyshire could well reflect one of the most ancient populations in the British Isles.

Best wishes,

Geoffrey :relaxed:

Great Site Geoffrey. Thanks for posting it.

My DNA came back very confusing. They must have compared it to the beginning of time. LOL.

89.2% North & West European, 5.9% Scandinavian, 4.1% English and 0.8% Nigerian.
Those Vikings must have got to Sheffield.

Interesting for someone whose Ancestors back to the 1700's at least were either Ecclesfield or Fulwood/ Dore area. I always say I am related to most folks from Sheffield. At least 2nd & 3rd cousins.

So you pay for what you get as the saying goes. LOL.

Thanks again Geoffrey and Happy Easter.

Elaine in a very very wet Ottawa. Its on its way over to the UK.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Like I say they will adjust it after 6 months to a year but why can't they do it first time round? Maybe the pressure to get a result in a short time makes the first result very inaccurate.🤔