Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Arthur Grove

I'm trying to find a burial of Arthur Grove b.1850 d.25 Mar 1924 At 16 Hanover Sq.He's not in the burials on this site so possibly a churchyard burial,any ideas please.
I'm also trying to find when roughly he came to Sheffield.His wife was Jane/Jean Grove nee Naylor and their 3 daughters all born in Harrogate Elsie Amy,Irene Patricia and Edith Mary
Many Thanks
Audrey

Re: Arthur Grove

Morning Audrey,

One of the problems is that many of the churchyard burials after about 1910 have not been transcribed so the Archives I believe will be the only way you will be able to check them out.

From FreeBMD.
Deaths Mar 1924
Grove Arthur 74 Ecclesall B. 9c 586

THis may help as Ecclesall Bierlow covered only a small section of the City. Not all churches had graveyards so that would cut it down even more.

St Mary's Bramall Lane comes to mind. My records from S&DFHS only go to 1910.

Elaine in Ottawa.

PS do you know if he was Church of England.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Elaine
That was a speedy reply,thank you.I think he was Church of England.He married in St Thomas's York and all the daughters married in Sheffield Churches.
As to when he arrived in Sheffield I only know he was in Harrogate 1911 and died in Sheffield 1924.He was a journeyman Tailor,hence the moving around.I've found nothing on any of the family between these dates.Thank you for your input anyway
Audrey

Hello Audrey

Arthur Groves was buried in the Anglican Section of the General Cemetery.
He died 24th March 1924 and was buried on 29th March 1924. Age: 74years. Occupation: Tailor. Address:16 Hanover Square.

Anne

Hi,

1923 directory, 16 Hanover Square, Grove Arthur, householder.

Heths

Also, after his death is his wife at the same address:

GROVE, Jean E. (Mrs, ~).
Address: 16 Hanover Square, ~ in 1925.
Recorded in: Sheffield & Rotherham Kelly?s Directory.

Regards,
Marlene C

Hi Anne
Thank you for finding Arthurs Grave site,I never thought about the General Cemetery.
Audrey

Hi Heather and Marlene
I've got the 1925 Kellys CD so knew about Jean but 1923 brings the date down a little.It makes things difficult because of WW1.One of the daughters did tell me that they lived in Burgoyne Road at one time with her parents but I wasn't doing Family History then so only half listened,what gems of information I've missed.She lived into her 90's and would have remembered Harrogate as well as Sheffield
Many Thanks
Audrey

Hi Audrey,
I am not a member of Ancestry.com anymore but I did notice there is someone with an Arthur Grove, Family Tree with the surname Naylor (also the maiden name of Jean Elizabeth Grove).

Arthur Grove in 1901 was still living with his first wife, Mary Ann (nee Knight) whom he married in 1875 at Brighton/Sussex. They are living at Mount Parade, Harrogate.
Somewhere between 1891 and 1901 they made the move from Cambridge, Cambridgeshire to Harrogate. Mary Ann Grove died 1902, Dec qtr age 50.
Arthur RM: 1903 June qtr York.

Arthur Grove,on census records is born at Clerkenwell, Middlesex between 1849-1850. Father: Stephen James Grove B:abt 1820, Lambeth Surrey,occupation in 1861(living at Clerkenwell)-Clothier employing 4 people. Mother Harriett Ann...??

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Hello Audrey

Whites Directory for Sheffield, 1919-1920 has Arthur at 16 Hanover Square, Sheffield.
This is from Ancestry.
Electoral registers might help to pinpoint exactly when the family moved to Sheffield.

Anne

Hi Wendy
Thankyou for this.It is my family and the name you could not make out is Harriet Goodcheape
Audrey

Thank you Anne Its getting the timeframe closer.I subscribe to Ancestry but missed this.Audrey