Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: GGrandfather Aspinall

Hi Marlene,
Yes, I did receive the birth certificate for Albert. (Sorry I didn't respond the same day- I've been ill for three days now and I haven't done much of anything.) I'm still trying to get used to the idea that I'm not really an Aspinall. That certainly explains why I've hit a brick wall.I appreciate your help as I probably wouldn't have solved it otherwise.
Do you live in England? If so, how common is the name Broadbent there? I'm in New York and I've never heard of it before. Now I have a whole new line to research!
Thank you so much,
Polly

Polly,
At the 1911 census there were over 7800 individuals in England and Wales with the name Broadbent. That is about 1 in every 5000. It is vey much a Yorkshire name with about 1 in every thousand people in that county in 1911 having the name. The biggest concentration seems to have been around Huddersfield.
Dave

Hi Marlene.

This line of research is bringing back some memories, it's many moons ago that the riddle was solved, I think mainly with a newspaper report, along with certificates.

Hi Angela,
Hope you're well.
I'll always be grateful to you and fellow Indexers.
You personally helped me with 2 of my blank ends research.
Many years ago you found the WW1 papers for my grandmother's husband Walter Wildgoose (remember the wildgoose chase!) proving that he wasn't my father's father because he'd died well before my father's birth. This led me to research my father's biological father giving me a new maiden name.

Some years later you placed on here the Prisoners Transported to Australia list which showed my 3x great grandfather John Aspinall in 1834 being sent to Australia, you also found the newspaper report of his crime being that of stealing a roll of cloth and handkerchiefs for which he served 7 years in Australia leaving his wife and 2 children in Sheffield.

Without Sheffield Indexers I would never have found so much background to what I thought would have been "ordinary Sheffield folks" who didn't have a story to tell, how wrong was I.

Thank you Angela and many others on here, it means so much to have you all so willingly helping.

Regards,
Marlene C.

Now in Derbyshire after a few years in Norfolk.