Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Edwin Eccles

Hi, can you please let me know where he was living at the time?
Thankyou.
Keeley.

Hi Keeley.
It gives you the address plus other details, on this website, Sheffield Indexers, under burials
FYI: 15 Cross Gilpin Street

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

He is lodging with the Trigg family 1891

13ct 2h Wentworth Street-Eccles Edward lodger S 29 fish hawker YKS Sheffield 1-13-3793

named as Edward the Gilpin burial would be correct others in the grave would be his family William Jennings Eccles and wife Emma

Hi Keeley,think we have spoken before about the Eccles Family.I'll gladly let you know what I have on Edwin and family if you need any help.Ann Eliza's burial is on here for 1920.
Best wishes,Linda

Hi Keeley,sorry my mistake Ann Eliza's death not on here.She died in 1920 aged 48yrs.On FBMD Sep Quarter Ecclesall Bierlow 9c 365.She was buried at Wards End new Portion grave 986.I think i found this out from either Find My Past or Ancestry.Entry reads as follows,Ann Eliza wife of Edwin Eccles of 10 High House Terrace died at 32 Union Road.The Edge.

Hi Linda
do you have any info about her children, as far as i know she had 3, Annie e eccles, Arnold and sydney, im not sure if she had anymore. Sydney was my Grandfather and he spent most of his life in Fulwood cottage homes, he never spoke about his time in there but he always said his father was called John Eccles but as far as i can see his father was Edwin Eccles, its a bit of a mystery.
Thankyou for your help
Keeley.

As far as I can see Annie also had George 1903 possibly Lily 1907, down as illegitimate 1907 workhouse, but I found, ECCLES LILY -SPYE
GRO Reference: 1907 J Quarter in ECCLESALL BIERLOW Volume 09C Page 464

Hi,Keeley,As far as i have got is that daughter Ann Eliza is definately daughter of Edwin and Ann Eliza.Her baptism is on here.She was baptised on the 12th June 1895 at St.Bartholomew,Langsett Road.Parents-Edwin (Hawker) and Ann Eliza.
In 1901 Annie E.Eccles M 29yrs,daughter Annie 6yrs and son Arnold 3yrs are with her married brother,Arthur Spye and family at 444 Penistone Road.
In 1903 All three of them were admitted to the Workhouse on the 2 March.
1904 on the 2 October,Ann E.and son Arnold were admitted again and yet again on 12 October 1906.
Sydney was born in 1910.Do you have his Birth Certificate?
1911-Ann E.and Sydney are in the workhouse.Interestingly,Arnold appears on the School Records on this site with a Guardian -Mrs Eliza Eccles QUIXALL !This entry was also for 1911 and his being removed from school and into the Union.On 1911 Census- Arnold is 12yrs old and an Inmate at Fulwood Cottage Homes,Blackbrook Road.
Hope this helps a little.
Good luck.

There is something strange about the birth registration of Arnold.
June quarter 1987 Sheffield Arnold Eccles mother maiden name MEEKE ( not Spye)
March quarter 1898 Arnold SPYE Ecclesall Bierlow, born illegitimate.
Dave

Hi Dave
this is very interesting, can i ask how you know he was illegitimate, where do you find this information out, my Grandfather Sydney on his birth certificate has no father mentioned.
thankyou
Keeley.

Hi Pete
can you tell me how you found out about these other children i am intrigued i would love to find out more
thankyou
Keeley.

Here,
https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content/dam/sheffield/docs/libraries-and-archives/archives-and-local-studies/collections/Index%20to%20Register%20of%20Inmates%20(Surnames%20D%20-%20J).pdf

and here,
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

Looks likely George and Lily didn't survive.

Keeley. The info is on the GRO Index, which is free to use. You do need to sign up.
It is a strange search engine but it allows to identify children and find their mother maiden name.
You can also find all the children who have that mother maiden name.
Dave
Edit, if there is no father named on the birth cert hen the child is illegitimate. In the GRO index, if the mother maiden name is blank then the child is most probably illegitimate

Hi Keeley I think we have spoken before. I am a descendant of Edwin and Eliza on my grandmothers side. I will have a look at what' bits I have and let you know if I can help you