Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Maria Ann Speller

Hi

The marriage certificate will give John's father name and occupation but not his birthplace. It is unfortunate all the census just say Ireland.

Sue

Hi

Somebody has posted a family tree on Ancestry which contains Maria Fletcher.
It states that she married John McGee in Retford in 1854 and that she died in Ashton Under Lyne in 1883. Her parents are name as Vincent Fletcher (1793-1877) and Mary Good (1797-1844).
Vincent was born, and died, in Clarborough, Nottinghamshire; same for Mary.

Hope this helps

Carol

I was starting to wonder if I had gone wrong somewhere, had hit a brick wall in Redford and was stuck. I have heard about that family tree on ancestry recently and was made aware of Marie Fletcher.

Looks like I made my mistake with the marriage. I knew the family where in the Retford area and when I found a marriage between a John Mc Gee and a Maria Speller in Shoreditch in 1851, I thought that was the one I was looking for. The marriage in Retford in 1854 makes more sense.

Thanks for the replies Sue and Carol and I will need to take another look.

By the way do you need a membership at Ancestry to see the family trees? I was sent a hint of the Fletchers as Marie's parents, but could not access the tree.

Hi

Yes, you do need membership to see the full tree. What else were you wanting to know?

Carol

I was curious about the rest of the tree, how far it went back, but especially if it went forward through Maria's daughter Catherine to her Son,Frederick Taylor and his daughter Mary who is my mother.

I'll take a look and get back to you.

First, I've checked the route down to your mother and she is there. The person who has posted this tree must be a very close member of your family as there are photographs of everyone including your mother, your father, Thomas, and your grandfather, Frederick.

Strange, I though I knew who in the family are researching the family tree. I have shared my research with family members in England, perhaps one of them have taken it further and not told me.

Does it not tell you the name of the tree or the person who began it?

I just talked to one of my cousins in England, he has been searching his mother's line and has done some research on his fathers, which is the Line that goes through Marie Fletcher.

His name is Michael Taylor. I'm assuming he's a relative on your mother's side of the family.

That is my cousin who I was talking to.