Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: surname quixall

Keeley,
In the 1850s there was only one Quixall family in Sheffield. Samuel Quixall married Harriet Hoyle at Sheffield Parish Church in 1853 and they had several chldren who can all be found on GRO Index.
Samuel was baptised 1825 in Sheffield and a few Quixalls, predominantly female, can be found there in the late 1700s
It is a very rare name in England and Wales, and I believe it probably originates from the Isle of Man. A search of the name in the censuses shows only 78 responses in England and Wales between 1861 and 2011, and of those 58 were in Sheffield. It will be easy to trace all the families.
Probably the most famous Sheffield Quixall was Albert, who was a professional footballer with Sheffied Wednesday in the 1950s and won 5 England caps. He played for the Owls against Manchester United in the famous first game United played after the Munich Air Crash of February 1858. In 1859 he transferred to Man U for what was then a record fee of £45000 as Matt Busby rebuilt his team. He was a very distinctive lplayer because of his very big blonde hair.
Dave
Edit, oops, senior moment. Of course I meant 1911 not 2011

Hi

There appears to be only 12 Quixalls in the 1939 Register and 11 of them are in Sheffield. Plus I've looked at electoral rolls and a large percentage are here.

Hello Keeley
There are inscriptions recorded for three headstones for Quixall in Burngreave Cemetery but I do not know if the headstones are still there. Email us if you wish for further help. Christine, Friends of Burngreave Cemetery

C/H2-81 QUIXALL I L M O RANDOLPH LEE the bel son of SAMUEL & HARRIET QUIXALL
who died MCH 8, 1890 age 36yrs. Also of the ab SAMUEL QUIXALL who
died MCH 15, 1903 age 77yrs. Gone but not forgotten. Also of HARRY bel hus of SARAH JANE QUIXALL & son of the ab who died APR 16, 1907 age 47yrs. Also of the ab HARRIET QUIXALL who died AUG 17, 1908 age 75yrs. Also or GEORGE HOYLE brother of the ab who died JAN 16, 1908 age 68yrs.

FF-1909 QUIXALL I L M O BARBARA the bel wf of FRED QUIXALL who died JUNE 15 1926 age 28yrs. GEORGE QUIXALL died AUG 7 1941 age 73yrs. Also SARAH QUIXALL died NOV 12 1951 age 82yrs. R-U.

JJ-3486 QUIXALL C M O our dear parents GEORGE HENRY QUIXALL died FEB 18, 1951 age 68yrs. Also ELIZA a dev mother died JAN 13, 1973 age 84yrs.

Oh dear, just noticed a couple more senior moments in my earlier message. I of course meant 1958 not 1858 for the Munich Air Crash and in fact Albert Quixall transferred to Man U in Sept 1958, not 1859.
My excuse is I gained another year this week.
Dave

Hi Dave
thankyou for the info im researching the eccles and spye family in sheffield and my grandfathers brother who was Arnold Eccles was admitted to school by an Eliza Eccles Quixall and i cant understand why she has two surnames, any help would be much appreciated.
thankyou.
Keeley

Hi thankyou very much for the info
Keeley.

Keeled,
There is only one Eliza Quixall in England and Wales between 1839 and 1973. She was Eliza Staniforth who married George Henry Quixall in Sheffield in 1905. The two are in the 1911 census. Eliza was born in 1877 as Eliza Staniforth with mother maiden name Cooley.
Eliza Quizall died in 1973. I can find no link to the name Eccles.
Dave

Hi Keeley,

Taken from our School Records over to the left.

Eccles, Arnold (Student, dob ~~ Feb 1899).
Parent or guardian name(s): Mrs Eliza Eccles Quixall (guardian) (~), of 45 Fawley Rd.
Admitted to Neepsend Senior Mixed Council School, Neepsend, as of 20 Nov 1911, ~
until 15-Dec-11, reason for leaving: Into Union. Previously attended Crofts Cl.
Remarks: ~.

NOTE that Eliza is a guardian of Arnold.

Elaine in Ottawa

Instant Messenger: Skype

In the 1911 census a SARGISON family are living at 45 Fawley Rd. Eva SARGISON of that address was admitted to the same school in April of that year, then Arnold in November.

Hugh

Dave,

for 'Staniforth' read STANILAND. Eliza was born in 1887.

Hugh

Hugh, thanks, so many senior moments. Need to be more careful.
Dave