Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Benjamin Fox born 1751

Benjamin farmed in Nether Hallam area but many life events are recorded in Killamarsh Derbyshire. In his will Benjamin mentions three children by name, George, Benjamin and Martha Broomhead nee Fox but also 2 children not named. I only have baptisms for George and Marthafrom Derbyshire archives. Does anyone have knowledge of the other 3?

Re: Benjamin Fox born 1751

Hi Jane

You've not given any dates for the baptisms you have or Benjamins wifes name but I've found the following:

Jospeh Fox 1780 Killamarsh
Benjamin Fox 1791 Sheffield Cathedral
Ann Fox 1785 Sheffield Cathedral

All with Father Benjamin and mother Martha??

Hi Jane/Denise,

I have been helping Jane in the background as I have this line of Fox in my tree but not until 2 generations later.

By using Family search I believe that Benjamin lived in Killamarsh later moving to Sheffield Upper Hallam in particular. Where his grandson married into my Woodhouse line.

However just had another look at F.S. And Benjamin Fox is a very common name.

I have a marriage to Martha Carr in Killamarsh. in 1776.Their eldest child if I have the correct line was George Fox 1778 on the 1841 census he was not born in Yks.

It seems that Ben (1751) could have had Hathersage/Killamarsh/Sheffield roots and that I believe is where the problem lies.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Elaine is right in what she says Benjamin actually farmed in Hallam but the Fox family also had farms in Callow so went to either Fulwood or Sheffield for many baptisms. Benjamins wife is Martha Carr, she hails from a farming family in Killamarsh hence the baptisms there. The Sheffield ones do look like they might be right. I do wonder why the two children were left nothing in the will bar money to buy clothes for their fathers funeral.
Many thanks to you both

Just to add, the Sheffield Baptisms give the fathers profession as 'Farmer'. Not further concrete proof I know, but every little helps!!