Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Baptisms

Can anyone please help me find the baptisms of my 2nd great grandparents (William Watts b.1813 and Eliza nee Robinson b.1816) children. They are Mary Ann/Marianne b.1840, Charles b.1843, Esther b.1846, George b.1849, Alfred b.1852 and William b.1854. Their first two children Emma b.1835 and Elizabeth b.1837 were baptised in the Anglican Church of St Peter and St Pauls. They were living in Sargeants Row, Brightside Bierlow in the 1841 Census and Cornish Street in the 1851 Census. Thank you Liz

Re: Baptisms

Just bringing this request back up to the top.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Liz,

William Watts. born 29 Apr 1813, bap 23 May 1813 at Sheffield Parish Church.
Parents: John and Elizabeth, cutler.

Eliza Robinson, born 29 Feb 1816, bap 22 Mar 1816 at Sheffield Parish Church.
Parents: John and Mary, scissor smith.

Moira.

Hi Liz

I have not been able to find any baptisms for the rest of the children. Maybe they will be found one day. All the birth registrations confirm mothers maiden name was Robinson. Sorry I couldn't help.

Sue

Liz, if they were baptised at the same church you would not find them on this site. Our baptism records for that church only go up to 1842.
Does anyone please have access to those later records?
Dave

Hi Moira,Thank you very much for your help, it is very much appreciated. Regards Liz.

Hi Sue, Thanks very much for taking the time to look for me. I do appreciate it. Regards Liz

Hi Dave, Thanks very much for replying,I did not know.I appreciate your help and can now look into that further. Regards Liz

Hi Liz,

Along with our own transcription and the CD's I have from S&DFHS the last three children do not appear on my records.

Is there a possibility that their religion changed as we have very few Methodist entries.
Check with S&DFHS or Angelia might see your request as I believe they may have a CD.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Elaine,Sorry but I am not sure my first reply was sent,so I will repeat it just in case.Firstly I wanted to say thank you so much for your time in helping me. You said in your reply you did not find the last three children's Baptisms,so did you find the Baptisms of Mary Ann,Charles,and Esther,as I can not find them anywhere.As you suggested I will look at other Faiths.Regards Liz.

Hi Liz,

You stated that the first three children had been baptised in an Anglican church so I presumed you had their baptisms?

Elaine in Ottawa.

Suggestions and observations.

On the 1841 census there are three older children. Emma 5, Elizabeth 3, Mary Ann 1.
Address as you said was Sergents Row, Brightside.

St Thomas Brightside have baptisms from 1846. It was created from Christ Church Attercliffe. It became a Parish in its own right in 1850.

On the 1851 census they are on Cornish St in the Parish of St Philips.

We have transcribed all three possible churches so I am leaning more closely to the idea they could have been Methodists.

William came from Heeley so I suppose they could have gone back there for Baptisms.
By the way I couldn't see them on the 1861 census. Do you have them?

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Elaine

I have checked my SS Peter & Paul baptisms which are transcribed to 1875 and the younger children are not baptised there.

Angela

Hi Angela,

Nice to hear from you.

Looking more like the possibility of them being either Methodist or not being baptised at all.

So back to the drawing board I am afraid Liz.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Liz the burial of William & Eliza might be an indication of their religion.
Check our burials over to the left.

Hi Angela T,Thank you very much for your help.I think I will come back to this one in the future.Regards Liz.

Hi Elaine,I appreciate all your time and effort ,but as you said, it will be back to the drawing board(sometime in the future).Regards Liz.Can I just say what a great site this is,and thanks to all of you that help us.