Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Photo needed of Mary Jane Phillips (nee Grayson) father Israel

Hi all , still trying to get a photo of my dads birth mother mary jane phillips ( nee Grayson - father Israel ) , she died of t.b in sheffield september 1944 , my dad was only a baby and my grandad destroyed all photos of her when he remarried soon after. He has no idea what she looked like at all, and i wanted him to have one before he pops his clogs, various people said they could help as they knew her, but dont reply when followed up ! I am beginning to lose hope, i cant even find which school she went to as a child.
Any help would be gratefully received , but time isnt on my side.
Thank you in advance .
Lee

Re: Photo needed of Mary Jane Phillips (nee Grayson) father Israel

Hello Lee,

If you don't already know in 1939 she is living at 12 Liverpool St b Aug 3 1920 a warehouse girl with Israel Grayson b Dec 7 1885 a general labourer.

Betsy Grayson b 7 Nov 1885 domestic duties.
Israel Grayson b 14 Feb 1914 rolling mill shears.
Edwin Grayson b 17 Apr 1927 at school.

Two other closed entries.
Married Harold Phillips Dec quarter 1942.
Baptised at Christ Church Attercliffe, b Aug 4 1920 baptised Aug 25 1920,parents are Israel and Betsy, address is 408 Wool St.

Regards.

Terry

Hi Terry , yes ive already got this info thank you , its a picture of her im trying to get, my grandad didnt leave one picture, i thought that there must be a photo from their wedding that a relative on her side may have, but all my attempts have failed, im not that good at the ancestry lark, so trying to solicit help from anybody i can, my dad aint got long left, really want to show him what his mum looked like.
Thank you anyway for the reply, its much appreciated.
Lee

Hi Lee,

Its going to be an uphill battle finding a photo but I would approach it from this angle.

To follow on from what Terry found.

Under our parish Records over to the left. Please check them out.

GRAYSON, Israel (of 12 Liverpool Street, born 0000-02-14).
Baptised March 4, 1914, by C H Staveley at Christ Church, Attercliffe.
Parents name(s) are Betsy & Israel (Labourer).
Note: ~
Godparents: ~ :Page No 195 :Reg No 1555

GRAYSON, Mary Jane (of 408 Wool St, born 1920-08-04).
Baptised August 25, 1920, by Charles Lovekin at Christ Church, Attercliffe.
Parents name(s) are Betsy & Israel (Labourer).
Note:

Betsy and Israel snr had a number of children baptised at Christ Church Attercliffe.
They were in the Attercliffe area for many years.

My suggestion is for you to try and make contact with other Grayson family members.

You may have to search a few street directories to find them. Not an easy task. Just a word of warning. After I found a photo of my paternal grandfather and showed it to my father other than the comment he didn't know him he showed no further interest.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Lee,
There are several family trees on Ancestry which have Israel Grayson and his wife Betsy nee Anson. Only one of their children was male (Israel born 1914). He had only one child, Michael in 1841. Michael is not on any of the above trees, so his descendants are not active.
This means that the family- tree- interested descendants of Israel and Betsy are from their female children. That means you are more likely to trace what you want with descendants who are not called Grayson.
Incidentally, none of the trees have Mary Jane on them.
Dave
PS you can see all this info on Ancestry without subscription, though to contact the tree owners would need a subscription.
Edit, correction, Israel and Betsey had another son George, but he is not on any of the above trees.

Thank you for the reply elaine, i think my father would act differently, thats all he wants a photo, hes told me many times, when he found out about her very late in his life, we traced the burial plot, he took over ownership as it was overgrown, he sorted it out and had a headstone fitted, he also wants burying in the ssme plot !
Thank you as well dave, i tried this route before, had communication with some distant relatives who said they could help, then just stopped contacting, its very frustrating , i told dad i had contact etc, then had to tell him they stopped replying, so now until i actually hold it in my hand, i wont tell him .
Regards lee

Dave,

There's a third son, Edwin, who is with the family in the 1939 Register. He was born 17 Apr 1927 and his death was registered in Worksop in 2000. I can't see an obvious marriage for him.

Confusingly, the birth of a William GRAYSON, born in Sheffield with mmn ANSON, was registered in the quarter before Edwin's.

Hugh

Thanks Hugh.
I have a feeling I may also be wrong about the later generations not being there in the trees.
I suspect that perhaps Ancestry applies the Hundred year rule so that anyone born after 1819 will not show up in searches of member trees. That would make sense. Would welcome confirmation, or otherwise of that if anyone knows.
Dave

Thanks for the help , and if you find it hard to sort out,with all your experience, imagine how i feel trying to make sense of it with little to no idea ! But its great that youre helping, its very much appreciated .
Regards
Lee