Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Burial/death cert query

I have the death cert of Ann Howsham -
Ann died 12 April 1898 of bronchitis at 77 Mona Rd - present at death was her niece M. A. Lawton of the same address. Whether Ann was actually living there I don't know but a check of the street directory gives a Charles Lawton as the householder. In the burial register for Burngreave it does state that place of death was 'Bk of 71 Scotland St'. Burial was on 16th April 1898 at Burngreave Cemetery grave N5 38.

I believe that 71 Scotland St was a Public House - possibly owned many years before by an earlier family member.
WREAKES, John (Inn Keeper, age 46).
Died at Scotland Street; Buried on January 17, 1866 in Consecrated ground;
Grave Number 14, Section P of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: .
Plot Owner: Jane To John WREAKES of Scotland St To Pye Bank. Page No

Any ideas anyone as to why there should be a discrepancy in where Ann Howsham died?
Thanks
Lyn

Re: Burial/death cert query

Lyn, it seems logical that in the four days between death and burial her body may have moved to somewhere else. Perhaps the cemetery reference is to the place where her body came from on the day of the burial.
Dave

Hi Lyn,

In 1901, Charles and Mary A. Lawton are living at 77 Mona Road.
As Ann Howson was ill, perhaps she was staying with Charles and Mary
and died at their address. Presumably the Scotland Street address was
her own home.

Moira.

Thanks to you both. The Hows(h)am family had been living on Thorndon Rd in 1891 census as most of their relatives lived in the same areas and continued to do so until 1950s. Anything is possible I know - maybe they had the wake before the burial!