Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
which is best Ancestry or FMP

My family tree is on Ancestry. I used to buy the discs of Ebay with the good discounts. I haven't done any researching for a number of years but want to resume. Am I better keeping with Ancestry (is there a cheaper way to rejoin than through the Website) or do I join FMP.

Thank you

Re: which is best Ancestry or FMP

Hi Kathleen

I think it is a matter of choice. I have used both over the years, but have found that FMP's transcribing is better than Ancestries. FMP also have the Sheffield parish registers with images. FMP have just won the contract to produce the 1921 census from the original household schedules, which will be available Jan 1922. The newspapers have also been a bonus for me.

A lot of the military records have been put in a separate folder by Ancestry, which you have to pay an extra subscription for.

Angela

Thank you.

The other thing I'd add is that I've found FMP better on parish records further back. Ancestry do seem to be making more and more stuff only available on premium membership.If you have access to a good public library check if they have the library version of both and try them out free then you can choose which to buy.

Thank you