Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
GGrandfather Aspinall

I need help. My ggrandfather's name was Albert Aspinall (Aspinwall) He always said he was from Sheffield and the family bible indicates Sheffield too (DOB 11July1840). He was a cutler and left for the US in 1866. Albert may have been his middle name- I have no idea what his first name would have been otherwise. I can't find him anywhere. Am I doing something wrong? His marriage and death certs say Sheffield. I would really appreciate any help!

Re: GGrandfather Aspinall

On the 1851 census Albert Aspinall is living Sheffield with mother Sarah and sister Jane. Someone on Ancestry is doing this tree and they have his mother as Sarah.

Hi

Albert BROADBENT Aspinall married Mary Swift in Mar qtr 9c 213 Sheffield

There is a birth of Albert Broadbent Sheffield Sep 1839 22 530.

On FindmyPast, there is this baptism
Albert Broadbent
Birth date 11 Jul 1839
Baptism date 04 Aug 1839
Baptism place Sheffield, Cathedral Church of St Peter & St Paul
Father's first name John
Mother's first name Sarah
Correct date but a year out.

In 1841, living at Broad Street Park, Sheffield
Sarah Broadbent 30 1811
Albert Broadbent 1 1840
Frances Broadbent 1 1840
William Aspinal 11 1830
Jane Aspinal 8 1833
George Brooke 15 1826

I hope this gives you some leads.

Sue

Hi
missed out-The marriage of Albert Broadbent Aspinall to Mary Swift was in 1860.

In 1861, living at yard, Clarence Street Sheffield

Albert Aspinall 21 Spring Knife Cutler
Mary Aspinall 20
Mary A Aspinall 3/12

Sue

Hi Sue S, I found that family, but if he went to usa in 1866 it doesn't look like he took Mary and daughter with him. He appears to have gone on to marry again twice and have loads of children. There is tree on ancestry showing the usa family.

Hi Sue Winter
I have found the same information and have found the tree on Ancestry as well. The baptism seemed a close fit. Not sure why Albert was originally Broadbent though.

Sue S

It was not unusual at that time for a man to emigrate alone and then be joined later by his family.
It was a strange mixture of children that Sarah had in 1841, and there is no obvious death reg for John Broadbent, the apparent father of Albert.
Did Albert declare a father on his marriage certificate?
Frances Broadbent died age 3 in 1844, so I suspect she was I week or perhaps one month old in 1841, rather than the transcribed 1 year.
Dave

Is this the marriage of Sarah Aspinall and John Broadbent you're seeking:

BROADBENT, John (Bachelor, age ~, ~, residing at parish of Rotherham).
Married Sarah ASPINALL, on April 10, 1834, by ~ (Banns) at
Parish Church, Rotherham. Father's name is ~ (~).
Married in the presence of ~.
Notes: .
Page No: ~ Reg No: ~

If this is the same one then Sarah Aspinall (nee Hatfield) is my 3x great grandmother having married John Aspinall (hairdresser Broad Street) before John Aspinall was transported to Australia in 1834 to serve 7 years for theft. John Aspinall served his time in Australia, his marriage to Sarah left here in Sheffield was annulled. He left behind 2 Aspinall children William Henry Aspinall (my 2x great grandfather) and a daughter Jane.
John Aspinall gained his "Ticket of Leave" after serving 7 years, married a young Irish bride who'd been brought in to colonize Australia, built his business up as a hairdresser and had several children.
Sarah Aspinall died 1879 aged 72, widow of John Aspinwall(sic) Hairdresser.
Years ago through the powers of Sheffield Indexers I was contacted by a descendant of John Aspinall in Australia who knew all about his Yorkshire family though I had no idea about John Aspinall.
My breakthrough came when Angela Treweek shared a transcript of Criminals Transported to Australia.
Regards,
Marlene C.

I have a copy of Albert Broadbent's birth certificate:
11th. July 1839, son of John Broadbent Hairdresser, mother Sarah Broadbent nee Hadfield, 21 Broad Street, Park, Sheffield

Regards,
Marlene C.

Hi Marlene

Now things are making more sense! Hope Polly finds your information helpful.

Sue

Hi Sue,

The strange thing is that Sarah nee Hatfield/Hadfield was known as Sarah Aspinall on her death certificate. Also, her first husband John Aspinall had the same address for his hairdressing business in Sheffield as her second husband John Broadbent, talk about "keep it in the family"!

Regards,
Marlene C.

I don't know if this is the correct way to respond to all of you at once but I'll give it a try. You are awesome!! I can't believe the information you've found but I have to admit that I'm more confused than before.I have more Albert Aspinalls that I found. First, I have John getting married to a Sarah Ingham in 1837 in York. Their children are Albert (1840),Sarah Elizabeth (1844),Arthur (1846), Mary (1852), and Thomas (1854). I have a John marrying a Sarah Hatfield/Hatfield in Rotherham on 7Aug1826, with an Albert being born in 1840. An Albert being born in 1840 to George Aspinall and Dora. Another Albert is born to John and a Jane or Ellen in 1840 and had a brother, Benjamine (1837). Then there's Aspinalls named Ellen,20, John,15, Benjamin,11, Alfred,6, and Albert,1, living in Lower Lodge Farm in 1841. John is listed as a publican and not a hairdresser in the 1841 census. I've seen his death cert, his will, his marriage to Maria Wagstaff cert, his grave- none of these things help me at all, no middle name/initial, etc. The family bible, which was his, had him being born 11July1840. I sent a request (and check) to the Sheffield Register Office a while back and I received a letter (and check)back stating there wasn't an Albert Aspinall registered from 1838-1842. I really want to find out about Albert as Aspinall is my maiden name and with all those children he had after he immigrated, my grandfather was the only male to go on and have children. My grandfather had two children, only one (my dad) being a male. My father had 4 girls, me being the youngest, so I feel this line ends with me, unless he did leave some children back in England. I really appreciate the help you've given me- it's given me more to think about and research. Thank you so much!
Polly
I know one of the people that has the tree on line. That person doesn't (at least he didn't) have the paper work to prove things. He assumes a lot. Last time I looked, he even had my immediate family wrong.

Hi Polly,
This is just a suggestion:
Sarah Hatfield/Hadfield married John Aspinall who was sent to Australia, their marriage was annulled.
Sarah Aspinall married John Broadbent having a son Albert who sometimes was called Albert Broadbent Aspinall.
Albert Broadbent (the birth certificate copy which I have) was the son of Sarah nee Hatfield/Hadfield and John Broadbent.

Sarah Broadbent (for whatever reason) is named as Sarah Aspinall on her death certificate (which I have copy of).
It would seem that Sarah and perhaps her Broadbent children reverted to her first husband's surname of Aspinall.

Regards,
Marlene C.

Hi Polly,
I can email you a scan of the copy birth certificate which I have for Albert Broadbent.
I've emailed you a couple of times with no response.

Regards,
Marlene C.

Hi Marlene,
I wrote back to you under the Roger Collis address. I would appreciate a copy of Albert's birth cert.I'm still trying to figure this all out. Who is Sarah Ingalls, who had an Albert Aspinall?
Could they be the same Sarah (Broadbent and Ingalls)? What do you think happened to Albert's wife (Mary) and child (Mary A.). I tried to find them but there are way too many listed. I can see now why Albert didn't want to talk about his family back in England!
Thank you for your help.
Polly

Hi Polly,
I'll send you a copy of the Albert Broadbent birth certificate which I have.
As to whether it's the same Albert Broadbent you're seeking I don't know is the answer.
The Sarah in my line had the maiden name of Hatfield/Hadfield, she married John Aspinall then John Broadbent when John Aspinall was transported to Australia.
I cannot find any mention of Ingall in her line.
If you work back from your own lines which you have evidence of then you have to decide which Albert Broadbent fits.
Regards,
Marlene C.

Hi Polly,

Scan of the birth certificate sent by e-mail yesterday, would you kindly acknowledge receipt.

Regards,
Marlene C.

Hi Marlene,
Yes, I did receive the birth certificate for Albert. (Sorry I didn't respond the same day- I've been ill for three days now and I haven't done much of anything.) I'm still trying to get used to the idea that I'm not really an Aspinall. That certainly explains why I've hit a brick wall.I appreciate your help as I probably wouldn't have solved it otherwise.
Do you live in England? If so, how common is the name Broadbent there? I'm in New York and I've never heard of it before. Now I have a whole new line to research!
Thank you so much,
Polly

Polly,
At the 1911 census there were over 7800 individuals in England and Wales with the name Broadbent. That is about 1 in every 5000. It is vey much a Yorkshire name with about 1 in every thousand people in that county in 1911 having the name. The biggest concentration seems to have been around Huddersfield.
Dave

Hi Marlene.

This line of research is bringing back some memories, it's many moons ago that the riddle was solved, I think mainly with a newspaper report, along with certificates.

Hi Angela,
Hope you're well.
I'll always be grateful to you and fellow Indexers.
You personally helped me with 2 of my blank ends research.
Many years ago you found the WW1 papers for my grandmother's husband Walter Wildgoose (remember the wildgoose chase!) proving that he wasn't my father's father because he'd died well before my father's birth. This led me to research my father's biological father giving me a new maiden name.

Some years later you placed on here the Prisoners Transported to Australia list which showed my 3x great grandfather John Aspinall in 1834 being sent to Australia, you also found the newspaper report of his crime being that of stealing a roll of cloth and handkerchiefs for which he served 7 years in Australia leaving his wife and 2 children in Sheffield.

Without Sheffield Indexers I would never have found so much background to what I thought would have been "ordinary Sheffield folks" who didn't have a story to tell, how wrong was I.

Thank you Angela and many others on here, it means so much to have you all so willingly helping.

Regards,
Marlene C.

Now in Derbyshire after a few years in Norfolk.