Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
John Gill?

I'm wondering if anyone can help me? I'm starting to trace the family tree and am failing pretty misserably (not sure if i'm cut out for this.) I am in a bit of a conundrum regarding my great great grandfather. I was lead to believe that his name was Joseph Gill, every piece of papertrail i've found states this name. But now i have come across his death certificate and his name is stated as John Gill. The informant in attendance was his son (my great grandfather) also named John Gill. Now i'm totally confused as i know the death certificate wont be wrong, I haven't managed to find any info out as everything i've traced relates to Joseph Gill. Can anyone shed light on John Gill for me please? The only info that i have is that according to his death certificate he died on the 13th of May 1954 at his home address of 26 March Street, attercliffe aged 65 years. Thank you in advance for any help anyone may offer.

Re: John Gill?

Hi Cheryl

Just looking at the 1911 census for 26 March Street, and that lists the head as being a John Gill born abt 1889 (about the right age give or take to tie up with the death certificate you have), married to Sarah Ann.

Going back to the 1901 census at No 35 March Street, theres a Gill family

Head - Joseph born about 1863
wife - Mary E,
Son - Henry, B abt 1884
Son - John, B abt 1889 - same John Gill living at 24 March St in 1911 and the John Gill you have the Death certificate of possibly?
Son - Joseph, B abt 1895 - could this be your G G grandfather?

On the 1939 register a Joseph Gill 9Born 21 Apr 1894) is living at 68 Carbrook St, with wife Ada and his father Joseph, Born 10 Mar 1862 (which ties in with the above family)

Theres then a Death for a Joseph Gill (born 21 Apr 1894), died in 1976? same Joseph as above.

Dont know if these names/dates tie up with your paper trail?

Starting family research can be very confusing and its very easy to get off track, especially when Christian names run through families and generations.

Denise

Thank you so much Denise, i'll get the paperwork out and see it anything matches. You have been more than helpful.

Regards,
Cheryl.

The info you've given me has really clarified a few things, thank you. It seems that i tripped myself up in believing that the death certificate that i have (found in my mums possesions after passing) is that of my great great grandfather when it is infact the certificate of my great grandfather. So it looks like i was on the right track to begin with, John Gill married to Sarah Ann was my great grandfather and his father was Joseph Gill... It took a while, but got there in the end haha. The family certainly liked to live on March street as i have several different house numbers for the same road cropping up over and over again.

Thanks again for your help and keeping my sanity intact.:smiley:
Cheryl.

Hi Cheryl

Brilliant - glad it makes sense now! Its so easy to get tripped up - no matter how long you've been researching. Its also worth bearing in mind that not everything you see is 'fact'. People tended to be 'economical with the truth' sometimes when registering births/deaths/marriages. And sometimes they're just providing their 'best guess' as they might not know actual facts. So dont assume that just because the document is 'official' that its completely accurate.

Its cracking the puzzles that make it fascinating and addictive (albeit equally frustrating). Do stick with it. This website is a fabulous and invaluable resource with a very helpful community, so you're never alone!!

Best regards
Denise