Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dog whistle - original owner

When my late mother was a little girl, an elderly neighbour gave her a very old dog whistle. It’s carved out of bone and is in the shape of a dogs head. The lady said that it had been her brothers, and that my mum was the sort of girl who would look after it properly, which of course she did. Judging by mums description of the position of the woman’s house, and the dates when my mum lived on that road, I think the lady was possibly Emma Elizabeth Cadness Cotterell who died at 26 Hastilar Close in 1936 aged 81. Your burial records helped me find her :)

The dog whistle has since been passed on to me, and I would love to know the name of the brother who originally owned it.
Can anyone find his name?

Heths

Re: Dog whistle - original owner

Emma Elizabeth Cadness Watson born 1855, married Charles Parker Cotterell on 14th March 1888. In 1861 Emma E Watson was living with her family at the Lodge of Hallam Head Farmhouse, Hollins Road ,near the Bell Hagg Inn. The family were father George Watson, mother Matilda, brothers William (13), John J. (9), and sisters Amelia (4), Ann (1)

Hi Ted,

Thank you so much for looking it up. I’ve let my subscription to FMP lapse until they put up more Yorkshire or Derbyshire records, but when I renew it I’ll take a look to see if I can narrow it down to either John J or William. The dogs head looks a bit like an English foxhound or a smooth haired fox terrier, so it could be a hunting whistle. Maybe I can find something in the newspaper archives linking one of them to a hunt, or a dog club.

Heths

hi Hets,
from GRO index the two boys were William Watson 1847 and John Thomas Watson 1851 both mmn Cadness registered Ecclesall Bierlow. From the same source it looks like John Thomas died 1890 in Ecclesall Bierlow and William died 1905 Ecclesall Bierlow. The burial of John Thomas is over to the left. Appears to be a mass grave, no other Watsons. Cannot find an obvious marriage for John. Does that imply his belongings would go to his siblings?
Dave
Ps you can search newspapers without subscription. The only thing you cannot do is view the original articles you find. So you can see if what you want is there.

Hi Heather.

I saw one of these whistles on Dickinson's Real Deal or Flog It (cannot remember which) last year and it fetched about £150

Angela:grinning:

Hi Angela,

I can’t see me selling it, but I’m planning to get a dog when I retire. As the whistle was owned by Watson, I think I’ll call the dog Sherlock.

Heths

Love it.