Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Posting info from FMP

Hi,

FMP are very keen to stop us using information from their site.

When I clicked on the URL in Bev's message FMP clicked in with a Free Registration Page.
In other words I couldn't get any further without registering. I have Ancestry so dont feel the need to have another subscription.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Re: Posting info from FMP

Hi Elaine
The link was to a newspaper report which you do have to be a member to view some people belong Ancestry some FMP the same would happen if I had posted a link to a pay to view record on Ancestry. Newspaper reports can often be viewed if you have a library card for a library in the UK and you register and can view from home for free.
Bev

Elaine, even without subs you can search FMP Newspapers an see the results of the search, which are usually quite informative. The only thing you cannot do is then view the full article. So fi Bev had posted a link to one step back in the file it could have been viewed by anyone
Dave

Bev Hill
Hi Elaine
The link was to a newspaper report which you do have to be a member to view some people belong Ancestry some FMP the same would happen if I had posted a link to a pay to view record on Ancestry. Newspaper reports can often be viewed if you have a library card for a library in the UK and you register and can view from home for free.
Bev
Hi Bev - you say Newspaper reports can often be viewed if you have a library card for a library in the UK and you register and can view from home for free.
Does that work with a Sheffield Library card do you know - or does anyone else know? I know it can be done in Sheff Archives I believe but it would be nice to browse from home. I'm not lazy I am just getting old and like a cuppa as I browse. :smile:
Lyn

Yes they do the link to online references is here

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content/sheffield/home/libraries-archives/online-reference-tools.html

And the link to the newspapers is here

http://infoweb.newsbank.com/signin/SheffieldCityCouncil

I don't know if you have to register your library card for the service or just use your card number to login.

Bev

Thanks Bev - I will give it a go.
Lyn

Hi All

On getting to see the whole newspaper article for free, when FMP and another organisation, can't remember which (The Times?) first put the articles on-line, I managed to see the whole articles for free by a roundabout means. It took time but was worth it, as I needed the information to further my research and clear some brick walls at the time.

This is how I did it.

When you do a term search ( a word string, often a name) and the results come up, make a note of the precise words (a string of words) at the very end of the viewable sample in the result. Come out to do a new search, then do a second term search using precisely those noted words you wrote down. The new result will be a different (later) part of the same article. A fair chunk of text. Carry on this way until you've read the whole article. It worked the same in the other direction too, I mean if the original result gave a string in the middle of the article, make a precise note of the very first words in the article result. All time consuming as I said, but for small family notices BMDs etc it worked fine. Longer newspaper articles would take a good while, doing it this way.

Not done it for years now, but don't see why it wouldn't still work.

Ann

Ann,
nice to find someone else who understands the fuzzy logic.
It still works.
Dave