Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
st philips parish church shalesmoor

where were the remains buried of the graves of people that were dug up to make way for the Penistone road works around 1966

Re: st philips parish church shalesmoor

This snippet, can't remember where I got it,

Burials Abbey Lane
grave plots list re burial St Philip
1160-1166-28th June
1215-1221- July24-25-26-28
1379-1381- 11 Sep
1436-1441- 4-5 Oct

Re: st philips parish church shalesmoor

There is a plan in the Archives (I think it's bound with the MIs) that shows the area of the churchyard affected by the widening of St Philip's Rd in 1967. Gravestones were moved to new positions within the churchyard. I had assumed, wrongly it seems, that the human remains were moved with them. Or maybe they were but the remains from unmarked graves were re-buried at Abbey Lane?!

In any case all the remains recovered in 1991, when the graveyard was completely cleared, were also buried in the same section of Abbey Lane - section B (consecrated). this section was used for other re-burials as well such as those from St Paul's.

The Abbey Lane plot numbers quoted form two blocks not far apart. I don't know if they are marked. I walked through this area last year after locating the 1991 plots but I didn't know then that these earlier re-burials were there. The 1991 remains are covered by several gravestones brought from the churchyard. It would be interesting to know if the same method was used in 1967.

I have a photograph of the 1967 plan and also one of the plot plan for Abbey Lane section B if you are interested.

Hugh