Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: Looking for relatives of the Cowlishaws/Turners, Sheffield Manor, early 1900's

Diane

Are you able to direct email me an image of Thomas Henry and Edna's death notice from Find My Past site, which I cannot seem to get access to - link from earlier on in this thread.

Many thanks.

Re: Looking for relatives of the Cowlishaws/Turners, Sheffield Manor, early 1900's

Hi Katherine,

I've just googled the tower images and yes, that must have been where Harriet was watching the trains from all those years ago. I'm glad you managed to get in touch with Elaine and amazing that the two of you are distant relatives!

Thank you for passing my email address onto Mark, he has been in touch and has said that if no other close relation would like the bible/letters then he and his family would like to give them a home. I'm just waiting to hear back from Joanne to see if she is interested, if not then I will get back to Mark. I've also sent you a personal email regarding Thomas Henry on Find My Past.

The last piece of info I'm waiting for is Thomas Cowlishaw's death certificate which I should receive on Friday. I will add these details to the forum when I receive the certificate and also keep everyone updated on where the bible finally gets re-homed. It has been an amazing, interesting journey the past week and a massive thank you to all who have contributed - I honestly couldn't have done this without all your help.

Vicki, Dave & Elaine - I wish you were all local so I could buy you a drink to say thank you instead I shall send you all a virtual hug! You are stars...

Will post again through the week when I know for sure which descendant the bible & letters are going to and also info on Thomas Cowlishaw's death.

Best Wishes,

Diane

Hi Diane

We have already exchanged some info by email, but should others be interested, Thomas Henry Cowlishaw
1856–1923 was my great grandfather. My Grandfather being Frank Cowlishaw.

It has been fascinating to read the input that you have received from so many people, and it helps so much in building up a bigger picture of those that came before us.

I do have hidden away somewhere a copy of the church records of baptisms of the Manor Wesleyan Chapel which was founded by the Cowlishaw family.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I have just emailed you with some images of the bible/letters that you requested, hope you received them ok. Yes, the input from everyone on the forum has been fantastic and I would never have even heard of the Sheffield Indexers if it hadn't been for this research. It is thanks to all of the contributors that so much history was brought back to the fore and part of Harriet's story was shared.

We wont know everything that she went through back then and the letter is only a small snippet of her private world. However, it's one I'm glad to have shared in with others on this forum all these years later. To raise several children as a young widow would have been tough going, she must have been a resilient woman and I personally would have been proud to be part of her lineage.

I'll let you know when Mark gets in touch about his decision but either way I know the bible & letters are going to go to a good home and back to the family line where they belong. That was all that I hoped for when I started this thread exactly a week ago!

Hi Diane and the several descendants
There was one final detail to be explained in Harriet' s letter. We identified who Cusworth was (a pen knife cutler for whom, clearly, Thomas did blade forging ) ( thank you Vicki) but who was George, from whom she also wanted money?
There was nothing to stop Thomas forging blades for other cutlers.
Moira (thank you) has used her local knowledge and the 1851 census to find that there were at least 2 Pen knife Cutlers with the first name George in the area between where Harriet and Thomas were living, and where Peter Cusworth was living. It is almost certain that Thomas did pen blade forging for one of these as well as for Peter Cusworth. They were:
1851 Manor, George Barnes, 30yrs, pen knife cutler.
1851 Broad Lane, George Hibbert, 50yrs, pen knife cutler.

Dave

Bev Hill
Hi Diane
Thomas Henry & Harriet Cowlishaw also had a daughter Edna who died aged 12 in 1917 at the time they were living at 257 City Road Sheffield. The newspaper report is here https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/ViewArticle?id=BL%2F0000250%2F19171001%2F072%2F0003&browse=true
Hi Bev

Are you able to snipp an image of the newspaper report? I cannot get onto Find My Past for some reason. Password reset keep rejecting. I would be very interested in the report of Edna's death. (My gt Aunt). Many thanks, if you are able to do this.

Katherine

Dave T

Dear all, the two following links take you to the two pages of the Harriet Cowlishaw letter.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zdlrobgoaxhca13/IMG_20190207_171322%5B1%5D.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f3xe606zxhejprc/IMG_20190207_171731%5B1%5D.jpg?dl=0

Diane had prepared a transcript (below) to which i have added a few changes (italics. All help and corrections welcome:

Sheffield Manor July 31

(Dear?) Husband,

I was glad to hear that you arrived safe in Hull for you know I am always rather fearfull about those trips. I was watching ever so long in the tower for the train going in.
I told little Ann you had sent your love, she said is is (sic) were is father con-con (sic) and points up the yard. John wanted to look at it, William looked and said he is not here, can he love us there.
For my own part I shall be glad when the time is over for I scarcely dare go to bed and? by night I have striven it awhile betwixt eleven and twelve and then I have a candle burning.
I was glad to hear that you looked better, you never
Page 2
at one time expected never (crossed out) to be able to go away from home. I believe this time the Lord has been very kind to us, we must strive in return to render unto him our undived (sic) (undivided?) hearts, may he enable us for is merceys sake.
I got on Saturday at Cusworths ten shillings and nothing at Georges. I have to tell you we are all well but it is nearly eleven by ours so I think it is time to come to a close. So no more at present from
Your affectionate wife
Harriet Cowlishaw

How wrong was I about not being a letter to her husband!!
Diane is going to order Thomas Cowlishaw's death cert. I believe he went away (more than once) to convalesce. Thomas, a cutler, died in 1858, William was born in 1843, John in 1845 and Ann in 1848 so the letter was probably written around 1852 to in the early to mid 1850s.

Will post a link to picture of the bible Friday evening.
David,

How do you get a URL for dropbox for including in posts? I have a nice pic of Harriett's final resting place in City Road Cemetery, but can't work out how to post this. Don't have Instant Messenger, a Website or Avatar.

Many thanks if you can explain in words of 1 syllable.

Katherine

Once you have the image in your Dropbox account simply right click on the image and, on the dropdown menu, select Copy Dropbox Link.. Once you have pasted that link into a post on here you will need to activate it. To do that simply precede it with (url) and end it with (/url) BUT use square brackets instead of the normal ones I have shown.
Dave.
Ps if you have problems just send it privately to me and I will post it

The mention of Cowlishaw’s and cutlers reminded me of the story regarding a fruit.knife owned by the American President Abraham Lincoln that was made in Sheffield by John Yeomans Cowlishaw.

Link to story https://blademag.com/knife-history/knife-history-abraham-lincolns-fruit-knife

257 City Road is where my grandfather Frank Cowlishaw was born. He is listed there on the 1911 Cencus. Edna is six years old at the time.

Dave T
Once you have the image in your Dropbox account simply right click on the image and, on the dropdown menu, select Copy Dropbox Link.. Once you have pasted that link into a post on here you will need to activate it. To do that simply precede it with (url) and end it with (/url) BUT use square brackets instead of the normal ones I have shown.
Dave.
Ps if you have problems just send it privately to me and I will post it
Dave

Many thanks - I will have a go and see if I can surprise myself.

Katherine

Here goes …

Harriett's final resting place in City Road Cemetery, Sheffield. Looks like she was possibly living with her grandson George and his family towards the end of her life and they made use of the same plot.

https://previews.dropbox.com/p/thumb/AAVEDZt2v6mBM3zqJOGsWEQwpSeTkVXS5tfbp_4PysXZgal_ca7JoVDStCpCnMlQrSAw1KKSq2spqaQEkxWhhtOHe1bP4BusrtbsAm0GYiF2XrHXUXNpvbdDFTiYrfjG095749hDBreqyIaxLYiGISDZZQWmVfZTof5B0sClMOMshSJD1R98D9n2ZNwbfZiHpdzzlwN94hkPSFAdp06uPoUGkNYrdtyejeZVtsUAkbfWRHqyt-IUO7L8oK7coF80kWI/p.jpeg?size_mode=5

Hi Katherine, the link gives an error message say you don’t belong here.

Hi All,

Thomas Cowlishaw's death certificate arrived a bit earlier than expected. I had trouble reading the cause of death on the certificate so asked Dave to help and he has also given me permission to copy his reply below -

Diane, the cause of death is what I expected.
It is PHTHISIS. That is a general term for a lung wasting lung condition. In the light of today's knowledge that means it was either pulmonary TB or Emphysema. Either way it means Thomas had a long term lung wasting condition which eventually killed him. The medical jargon is that he was a respiratory cripple. For years before he would need to leave Sheffield air pollution for the seaside frequently to convalesce for maybe a month, breathing fresh air and regaining strength before returning and then going downhill again in the pollution of the air and of his job
Note it says he was a grinder, not a forger? Grinders in those days had a very short life expectancy because of the dust, particularly if he was grinding on dry stones. The wet stones were much more healthy.
Dave

So this confirms what Dave and others had thought all along, that Thomas had a TB-like condition that required frequent trips to Hull to convalesce by the sea. The fact he ended up dying at 40 from his condition proves how hazardous some of the occupations were back then.

The bible and letters will be posted this week to Andrew, gt gt grandson (hope I've got that right!) of Harriet Cowlishaw. Thanks a million, once again, to all who have contributed and helped me give these special items a well deserved happy ending....

All the very best,

Diane

Hi Dave/Diane,

A job well done and the Bible which I think is probably a Methodist Bible goes to a family member.

Thomas is listed as a cutler on the 1841 census and a Pen Knife Forger on the 1851 census.
Don't forget his father was a Pen Knife Forger as was James his brother. Tried to check his occupation out on some of his children's christenings. I was unable to spot any that's why I am leaning towards them being Methodists.

Maybe FMP would be able to help.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Elaine. Yes the family were all Wesleyan Methodists, thanks to Harriett's father-in-law "Praying" William Cowlishaw, who founded his chapel in the grounds of Sheffield Manor. Lots of info in the Sheffield Manor Visitor Centre about the Cowlishaw and other local families.

1 2