Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Marriage of William Haywood and Mary Phythian

Can anyone help find information on Mary Phythian who married William Haywood, a cutler, (William was from Wadsley), their first child Isabella was born in 1833 in Wadsley, I have not been able to find any record of their marriage, but going by the date of their first child I would think it would be 1832 or 1833, I have found some records from St James in Lancashire for Robert and Isabella Phythian had a baby named Mary on 30.05.1813 and I wonder if this is the Mary Phythian I am looking for, also the first child from the marriage of Mary Phythian and William Haywood was named Isabella therefore it is possible that it is the same Mary, however without a record of the marriage I can't confirm. As I can't find a record of their marriage in Lancashire I thought maybe they married in Wadsley. Children of Mary and William Haywood are
Isabella born 1833
Joseph 1835
William 1836
Thomas 1839
Elizabeth 1841
Rosala 1844
Margaret 1847
Mary Ann 1849
Fanny 1853
Herbert 1855
Henry 1850
Mary is my 3 x great grandmother. All information most gratefully received.

regards Helen

Re: Marriage of William Haywood and Mary Phythian

Hi Helen
I think the surname Phythian lends itself to being misspelt.
On the GRO index, some of the births of the children have maiden names of Fitheian, some have Fitton.

The only marriage I can suggest is this one, its a long shot!

William Howard married Mary Newall Fithian on 28 Feb 1831 at Sheffield Cathedral.

I did find a slight connection.

Daughter Isabella Haywood b.1833 marries John Savage in 1852.
She dies in 1905 and the death is registered as Isabella Newill Savage.

Savage Isabella Newill 73 Mar 1905 Sheffield 9c 342

All guess work but it might give a lead somewhere.

Sue

Hi
Also

Daughter Rosella Haywood b.1844 married Heber Rose in 1869.
Her son was named Henry Newall Rose.

ROSE Henry Newall Dec 1869 Wortley 9c 209

Hi

The baptism mentioned of a Mary Phythian in Manchester with parents Robert and Isabel could be correct.

I found this marriage on Ancestry

Robert Phethean
Marriage Date:19 Sep 1808
Marriage Place:Manchester, St John, Lancashire, England
Spouse:Isabella Newall Caldwell

I think you need to trace this family.

Sue

Thanks Sue

I will follow up this lead, it is very confusing there are so many spelling variations, but I think I am on the right track now.

Helen

Helen Sellers
Thanks Sue

I will follow up this lead, it is very confusing there are so many spelling variations, but I think I am on the right track now.

Helen
Hi,

I wonder how you got on tracking down information on William Haywood and Mary Phythian as they are also my ancestors. They are my 3rd great grandparents through their daughter Mary Ann Haywood b1849 (I don't have a death date for her) married to James Storey (1847 to 1900).

I presume from your name Sellars that you are from the lineage of Mary Ann Haywood's older sister Elizabeth married to John Sellars.

Hello distant cousin!

Peter S

Hi Pete

Theres a burial for a Mary Ann Storey, aged 59, Wadsley ( address 44 Bamforth Street) in 1907. Could this be her?

Denise

Hi again Peter

Wadsley Church is where James Story was buried in 1900, so...

Denise

Denise,

Thanks for the burial details of James and Mary Ann Storey. I couldn't find these on the Sheffield Indexers burial search - should I be typing something different to just their surnames etc or have you been able to locate them on another website?

Peter

Hi Peter

Unfortunately We dont cover those burial years on our site, but I did find them on Findmypast!

Denise

Thanks Denise