Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Joe (Joseph Sellars)

I am wondering if someone can help, I am looking for information of Joe Sellars (Sellers) he played football for Lockwood Bros in the 1830's. The family said he was a keen sportsman I believe that he played cricket and may have been a runner as well. Does anyone know if there are any Lockwood Bros books or archives that may contain a photograph of Joe, he died in 1908, he was a member of the Abbey Bowling Club at the time of his death. Any information about Joe would be much appreciated.
Kind regards
Helen in Western Australia

Re: Joe (Joseph Sellars)

Helen, I assume you intended to say 1880s when you typed 1830, since Joe was 47 when he died in 1908.
FMP has almost 800 different reports involving Lockwood Bros sporting events in the 1880s and 1890s. Cricket, Football and Athletics are included and Joe Sellars is named many times. Sometimes just Sellars, which may well be him.
Dave

Thanks for that Dave, now if you could just tell me what FMP actually is and how I go about accessing it, I will get researching. I am based in Western Australia, and am quite new to researching, I am very excited at the possibility of learning more about my Great Grandfather, and yes you were correct I did mean the 1880's.
Once again thank you very much for your response.
Helen

Oh I just realized that you probably meant Find My Past. Please let me know if it is something different.

Kind regards

Helen

Helen, yes, find my past.
If you go into the Newspaper Archive and search for surname Sellars with Lockwood in the Keyword box you get the 700 odd answers.
You can do this without a subscription and see the scope of the answers. You will need a subscription to see the full original articles.
Happy Reading
Dave
Edit, sorry, should have added that you should restrict the search to Sheffield Newspapers and time period 1850 to 1900.