Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CLARA J. BUXTON

looking for Clara J. Buxton the daughter of John Buxton & Elizabeth Wheatcroft she was born c1849 in Westwood Lincolnshire, She was living with her widowed mother in Heeley Ecclesall Bierlow, also with her sister Maria in 1861. her place of birth is given as Westwood Lincolnshire. and this is all I can find of her.
My Very Best wishes.
Fred Wheatcroft.

Re: CLARA J. BUXTON

Hi Fred,

I am having trouble finding the census entry you have mentioned. How old is Elizabeth
on the census? And, how old is Maria in 1861?

Moira.

John Buxton married Elizabeth Wheatcroft in q1 1851. Maria was born in q4 1851
Dave

Hi Moira,
Clara was 12 years old and Maria was 9 years old they was living with their mother Elizabeth in Middle Heeley, Nether Hallam, Ecclesall Bierlow Yorkshire. Institute or Vessel 45 household schedule number 18 Piece 3475 Page 3. Maria married Thomas Chattaway Oct - Dec - 1869 in Rotherham Vol 9c Page 730 and died Jul - Sep - 1914 age 61 in Sheffield Vol 9c Page 784. they had 12 children.
My very best wishes.
Fred Wheatcroft.

In 1851 Ancestry transcribes this family as 'BENSTON'. In that year there is another sibling, Sarah Ann aged 9.

Both Sarah and Clara Jane are listed as born in Haxey. I found on an old map that 'Westwoodside' was on the outskirts of Haxey.

Sarah Ann was the daughter of John's first wife Susannah WEBSTER. A tree at Ancestry says Susannah died in Haxey in 1850. You would think that Clara Jane must be her daughter also but I cannot find a birth so the jury is out.

I don't think that Maria from this family is the one who married Thomas Chattaway. Multiple trees say that *that* Maria was born in Woodhouse in 1853 and her mother was Emma HALL. In the marriage register it says her father was a miner. The father of Clara etc was always listed as a tailor.

Sarah Ann was a servant in 1861 in the household of another tailor. Then on Christams Day of that year she married Charles William SMITH. His occupation....tailor.

Hugh

When John Buxton married Elizabeth Wheatcroft in 1851, he gave his father's
name as Joseph Buxton, Mariner.

John Buxton son of Joseph and Ann of Beast Market, Sailor. born 5 Dec 1813,
bap 26 Oct 1814 at All Saints, Gainsborough.

1841 census, Nethergate, Haxey, Gainsborough, Lincs.
John Buxton, 25yrs, Tailor, born in county.
Susannah Buxton, 30yrs, born in county.

Susannah Buxton of Westwood, aged 39, buried 27 May 1850 at Haxey.

On FMP in the 1851 census, the family are under the surname Burston.

Moira.

Stamford Mercury, 31 March 1837,
The Court for Relief of Insolvent Debtors.
John Buxton of Westwoodside, tailor. The first query asked by the Commissioner
of the insolvent was "how long it was since he committed the rash act of matrimony".
To which he answered "last year", the Commisionner said he must have been a rash
fellow to marry when he was head and ears in debt.....Discharged.

John Buxton of Middle Heeley, aged 46 years, buried 1 June 1858 at Christ Church,
Heeley, Sheffield.

Moira.

Hi Fred et al,

Following up on Moira's tack.

There was also another child born to John Buxton's 1st marriage to Susanna: Jane Buxton Bapt:9th Oct/1843 Haxey- Died: 22nd Aug/1847 Haxey, residence Westwood. Age 3

As to Clara Jane Buxton born 1849 one assumes this would have been Susanna's child, since Susanna died in 1850.

As to the birth registry of Clara Jane Buxton, I have not found one. However, there is a Sarah Ann Buxton registered 1850 Dec.qtr. District: Lincoln (source Free BMD).
I know this is somewhat late to register an 1849 birth but John had lost his daughter in August 1847, his wife in May 1850, and was about to make a move to Sheffield, a lot to handle for sure.

I am wondering if John or whoever registered the above birth was very distraught,confused and in a hurry and by mistake, gave the other daughter's name Sarah Ann(mother Susanna) who was born/bapt 1841 at Haxey.
John and his two children moved lock stock and barrel to Sheffield. married Elizabeth Wheatcroft, all before the 1851 census was taken. A lot going on here..!!

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Mother's maiden name for 'Sarah Ann' born in 1850 is 'JUNE' according to the augmented GRO index.

Sadly, I think this is probably her:

GRO Deaths Mar 1851
Buxton Sarah Ann
Lincoln 14 341

GRO says age 0

There's a marriage of a George BUXTON to an Elizabeth *TUNE* in 1849 in Lincoln.

Hugh

I am tempted to think this might be relevant:

GRO Marriages JUN 1869
BELL James
BUXTON Clara Jane
Carlisle 10b 642

A tree at Ancestry and censuses after this marriage say this Clara Jane was born in Sheffield (one census says Carlisle). She is about the right age. I know the Clara Jane we are looking for was (probably) born in Lincolnshire but she would have thought of Sheffield as her home town.

I don't know how she would have ended up in Cumberland and I can't find a record of the marriage online that gives details of her father and his occupation.

The BELL family had roots in Scotland. Maybe that's where the BUXTONs disappeared to?!

If this does turn out to be the right one there is a photograph of her in the Ancestry tree. She died in 1923.

Hugh