Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Elizabeth Fenton abt. 1789

My wife's 2nd great grandfather James White 1778 - 1858 was married to Elizabeth Fenton on 16th April 1812 in Sheffield.
I have a transcript from a family bible which says she was the daughter of Mathew Fenton of Sheffield Manor.
What was/is Sheffield Manor & does anyone know who his wife would have been ?

Many thanks in advance

Re: Elizabeth Fenton abt. 1789

Hi Alan,

Elizabeth Fenton, daughter of Matthew and Mary Fenton, was baptised 10 Aug 1787
at Sheffield Parish Church (Cathedral). Matthew was a silversmith.

When James and Elizabeth married in 1812, it was by Licence and it says
they were both of Sheffield Park.

Sheffield Park and the Manor are both suburbs of Sheffield and are next to each other and close to the town centre.

Moira.

Thank you Moira for this reply.
As I don't know much about Sheffield I initially thought that we had some nobility in our family & Matthew might have been the Lord of the Manor but no such luck.
Still it is nice to get a bit more information.
According to some family trees Matthew's wife Mary was Mary Hall which ties in with you saying her name was Mary.

Many thanks
Alan

Hi Alan
Just seen your post from a year ago.
I have been researching my family tree for some time, & am now where you are on the tree.
This is what I have at the moment-
Mary Hall m Matthew Fenton
Hannah Hall m John Fenton - They were 2 brothers marrying 2 sisters.
Mary & Hannah parents were Charles & Sarah Hall (previously Oates).
I have a fair bit of information about the Fenton side of the family as this is my side.
The Fentons Brothers were world famous silversmiths until the 1930s ish, & can be traced back as far as Charles Hall who was a partner in several silversmiths firms back as far as 1770’s, & the link between the Fentons & Halls can be seen there.

I would be very interested in what information you have in your wife’s family As at around this time sons are named after fathers, daughters are named after mothers & generations can become easily confused!
Kind regards
Liz ( previously Fenton)

Hi Liz.
This was an unexpected reply to my original post.
To be perfectly honest I have not been doing much research on that branch of our tree for quite some time now so will have to delve into my notes which I must admit are not the best ordered there is.
I will also need to get my head around them also so if you don't mind I will have a look this week (hopefully) & get back to you with more information when I can.
At present my tree is on Ancestry so if you are also using Ancestry you should be able to see some of what I have on my tree (Gray family tree)

Regards
Alan

Hi, I will certainly look!
I too had left it all alone for about a year as it was becoming all consuming, but with things as they are at the moment I thought I’d pick it up again.
Thanks for your reply & I’ll keep checking
Many thanks,
Liz.