Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
John TAYLOR

For years I had this man as Robert thanks to an incorrect transcription online! I've now seen the original which is extremely clear.
John TAYLOR and Mary - parents of Sarah TAYLOR bpt 13 Jun 1819 at Attercliffe Independent.
I was trying to find the bpt of their daughter, Mary, but there is a sheet across the possible page with other info...grr.
What I am most interested to know is which Mary was John's wife. There are several marriages between 1815 and 1818 that could be possible.
I believe John and Mary are on the 1841 and 1851 censuses but I haven't looked any further.
This just goes to show that you still need to see original records rather than just transcriptions!
Thanks for any help.

Re: John TAYLOR

Hi Liz,

Always a good suggestion but for those of us that live many miles away from Sheffield Archives transcriptions have been the only way to go. FMP or Ancestry have now started showing the actual registers in some cases. There again not everyone can afford their subscriptions.

The monthly subscription is a way of cutting cost. Have you research questions ready and for that month work away until you have all that you need and then cancel your subscription.

Our transcriptions are checked but I am sure you are aware that at times you have to stand on your head to be able to read whats written in the register.

Thanks for the reminder.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Elaine. Good to hear from you. Hope it's not too cold in Ottawa today. I know what it can be like transcribing and checking. I helped with the 1841 census for the Indexers and the results were totally different to the Ancestry transcriptions. I'm also OPC for Street, Somerset and have a fiche reader at home and some early records are almost impossible to read. However, the record of John TAYLOR father of Sarah, is as clear as daylight.
Liz

Hi Liz,

Good to hear from you. I didn't recognize your e-mail addy. Old age is catching up with me.

When we started transcribing the magnification was the pits. When Ancestry came on line as I am sure you will remember their magnification wasn't the best either but thats 12-13 years ago now so we have come a long way since then.Sheffield material was not a priority with them. I still prefer Ancestry to FMP but of course I had already one way or another collected material to fill in my tree before FMP started to add Sheffield copies.

By using the transcriptions you can at least zero in on a Church that you may not have thought of using.

I still use the good old standbys i.e. FreeBMD, Family Search and S&DFHS CD's that I have bought over the years. My moto waste not want not or am I just a canny Yorkshire Lass. Lol.

Take care and keep well.

Elaine in a cold snowy Ottawa. minus 2deg which is warm for the time of year but I am sure we will be hit with Arctic Air before long.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Yes, like you I use those good old standbys. How about the births on the GRO site now they show you the mother's maiden name. That's a great help. Also the ages at death prior to the 1860s.

It's the earlier days, pre-1837 that I struggle with, especially when dealing with such common names.

Here 'up North' it's a very mild winter. No winter storms like I had in Cornwall.
Liz

Hi Liz,
Is this your John & Mary Taylor..??
John Taylor Bapt:15/Nov/1795 -Parents Hannah & William Taylor
William's Occupation:Husbandman-Lapwater/Greasbrough.
(Note: There is now a school on the Munsbrough Farm/Lapwater where William possibly worked and the Lapwater Road is still there.

Sorry cannot help with John's marriage but probably in Sheffield. Two listed on Fam.Search: Mary Melton on 7/May/1817
at Sheffield "Cathedral" and Mary Wostenholm on 26/Nov/1816 at same church.

Burials recorded on Sheffield Indexers for:
John Taylor (Occ: Gardener) Buried 20th Jan/1875 Burngreave Cem
same grave: son William (Occ: Ag.Lab)buried Sept 3/1873 both died at Cross Chapel Street,Brightside.
Mary Taylor B: est.1800, D:Jun qtr.1840-Sheffield, age 40yrs (Free BMD)
buried: July 1/1840, Christ Church Cemetery, Attercliffe (Source Sheff.Ind.).

1841- Pitsmoor Pass Houses
John Taylor 45-49 plus 9 children including Sarah (eldest, I believe Sarah remained a spinster and possibly died 1884 Sheffield. age 65.
1851- Chapel St.Bridghouse/Brightside
John Taylor-55-farm lab. with 6 children
1861-Cross Chapel St/Brightside
John Taylor- 65-Gardener plus 3 children
1871- Brightside Bierlow
John Taylor-73-Ag.Lab. with 2 children, Sarah and William
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy: