Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holme Lane Hillsborough

I am about to lease a shop at 16 Holme Lane Hillsborough and would be interested to learn about the history of this particular shop and/or any other shop on Holme Lane/Hillsborough Corner.

Re: Holme Lane Hillsborough

Hi,

1923 directory has a Mrs Marie Louise Wood, stationer at that address.

Heths

Some photos of Holme Lane on www.picturesheffield.com

links - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Hillsborough-Her-People/dp/1493686933

https://www.joinedupheritagesheffield.org.uk/content/organisation/hillsborough-and-owlerton-local-history-society

In the 1901 and 1911 directories the stationer at 16 Holme Lane was Alfred E[dwin] WOOD. The family lived on the premises in 1901 but had moved to Beechwood Road by 1911. I think Alfred died in 1914.

Marie Louise (Alfred Edwin's wife) was born in France but was a 'British subject by parentage' in the 1911 census.

There is a wedding photograph for this couple in a family tree at Ancestry.co.uk!

Hugh

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. The directory that you all refer to is this the Kelly directory and is it available to view online? I did find a Mr Wood at that address. The reason that I asked about previous occupants is because we're struggling to come up with a name for our shop, so was curious to know who occupied it before-thought it might give us a bit of inspiration (as well as being interested generally in history/genealogy). There is quite a wide passageway between 18-20 Holme Lane and wondered if this was for coaching horses or whether it was some kind of coal or other merchant.

Hi Karen,

I bought the 1923 directory at an antique fair in Buxton because it had my grandpa and other family listed in it. I don’t know if it’s online anywhere but I will send you a photo of the entry for your address.

There was a draper at number 18 - William Clague. Number 20 was Mrs Elsie Barker, fruiterer and number 22 was a butchers, Parkins Ltd.
James Hardcastle, cycle dealer, was at number 6, James Brown, butcher at 8-10, Joseph Hemmines grocer at number 12, and George Strutt provision dealer was at number 14. There was a pub, the Hillsborough Inn at number 2. Michael Ford, a hosier was at number 4 and Sam Elliott, another butcher, was at 26. Loads more shops down the rest of the street as well, folks were spoilt for choice there!

Heths

The directories I quoted can be downloaded as pdfs from http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/digital/collection/p16445coll4/search/searchterm/Yorkshire/field/place/mode/exact/conn/and/order/nosort

That link goes straight to the Yorkshire holdings but they have directories from all over England and Wales.

Hugh

This is a photo from PictureSheffield of the butcher's shop at no. 22. The current access for vehicles looks as though it has been driven through the ground floor of this building fairly recently.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s41418&pos=76&action=zoom&id=121611

On maps for 1893 and 1951 the row from 12 to 22 is continuous with only access on foot down the side of 22. There was what looks like a wider entrance between 10 and 12 but that was access to a yard which was separate from the shops and their own individual back yards. I will send you snips of those maps.

Hugh

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 1 Oct 1895
REWARD.-- Lost on Sunday, September 15th, between 10
and 1, a Lady's Sable Fur for neck, with head on.--
Apply to Mr. Wood, Fancy Shop, 16, Holme Lane, Hillsbro'.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 5 Oct 1895
REWARD.-- Lost, Gold Signet Ring, Wednesday evening,
Langsett Road, opposite Barrack House.-- Apply, Wood,
16, Holme Lane, Hillsborough.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 8 Mar 1913
MIDNIGHT CRASH

ALARMING MISHAP AT
HILLSBOROUGH

FALL OF MASONRY

There was an alarming occurrence at Hillsboro'
at midnight, and but for the lateness of the hour
loss of life would have been almost inevitable.
The last car from Malin Bridge was rounding the
curve at the Middlewood Road end of Holme
Lane when a terrific crash of falling masonry
attracted the attention of the motorman (Harold
Wood) and conductor (Charles Graham) of the
car and of the few people in the vicinity.
Police-sergeant (177) Jacques and Police-sergeant
(284) Steel hurried to the spot and found the foot-
path and road strewn with huge blocks of stone
which had fallen from the coping beneath the
roofs of two of the shops--those tenanted by Mr.
Alfred Edwin Wood, stationer, 16, Holme Lane,
and by Mr. William Clague, the Hillsborough
Drapery Stores, 18, Holme Lane. At least a ton
of massive masonry had fallen.
The swaying end of the bearing wire which
helped to support the overhead wire seemed to
suggest the likeliest explanation of the accident.
This bearing wire had been attached to a bracket
fixed in the stonework which had fallen to the
ground. Pending inquiry by the tramway
officials it can only be conjectured that in
negotiating the sharp curve at this point the
trolley may have left the overhead wire and
crashed into the bearing wire, and so subjected it
to a sudden strain that dislodged the masonry.
The tramway authorities were communicated
with, and the loose wire was removed. The
police-sergeants meantime sent for the tenant and
agent of the property, and pending their arrival
kept passers-by clear of the danger-zone--for
there were other partially dislodged masses of
stone projecting from the premises. During the
night builders were got to work to make the pro-
perty safe.