Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Know this song?

I'm 72 now but my mother used to sing a 'nonsense' song which I'd now like to know more about. Was it a real language? Does anyone else know it?

The words sounded like this:

Coin-me nary , kiltie-cary,
Coin-me nary, coin me.
Ring ting ranabunna, ranabunna ring ting
Ring ting ranabunna coin-me.

Is it just nonesense or a real language?

Anyone else ever heard this song?

Re: Know this song?

Lived in Sheffield all my life and never heard this. When I was little an old lady in our yard used to sing when she was hanging the washing out. We thought it was just made up words but it turned out to be a Gaelic song that had passed down her family from her gt gt grandmother who had come over from Ireland in the 1800’s

I don't know those lyrics and, having listened to my grandfather sing many obscure songs I would have thought if it was common to Sheffield I would have heard it.
One ditty he used to sing though I could never understand why he knew it because as far as I knew we didn't have links to Wadsley until I started my family history;
Round legs to Wadsley went
To see why his legs were bent,
Round legs to Wadsley went,
Folderolldee.

Roung legs knocked on't door
He said "is there any deead foalks live 'ere,
Folderolldee

Round legs fell o're a wall
He lerr all his currant cakes fall
Folderolldee

My husband knew someone from Sheffield University who studied folk lore/songs and apparently "Owd Roundlegs" was the undertaker from Grenoside/Wadsley, the curaant cakes were for the funeral wake.

Happy new year to all at Sheffield Indexers and many thanks for all the transcribing and assistance given to many people like myself who would be ignorant without you!
Marlene C.

As children we used to sing
Eeny meeny maccaracha rarei dumarracha chickaracha bonbon French.

Some years ago, I borrowed a book from the library about children's counting games.
This chant was mentioned and was split into 10 words. I'm having a little difficulty with that now but it did make sense at the time.

Apparently it was used by Welsh farmers to count their sheep.

That's all I can remember, as I said it was a very long time ago.

Perhaps this chant was something similar

Hi I have been googling the words and found on gransnet.com a reference to your song by Bradfordlass. It would seem to be a common song of the time. I looked up nary and this means [not any, not one] which makes sense as old Sheffield/Yorkshire dialect. Sorry I can't come up with much else, I did wonder if it could have been caribbean.
Regards Barry Green