Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
John Brown of Farfield Road - help please

Can anyone help me find out what happened to John Brown, a postal telegraphist (b. 19 Aug 1867, m. 15 Dec 1889), who was living at 48 Farfield Road, Sheffield, in 1911. Was living at 7 Lennox Road in 1901. His wife was Susannah Annie Brown nee Holmshaw.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Philip

Re: John Brown of Farfield Road - help please

Philip, can you please give us any more information. John Brown is a very common name.
Do you know what happened to his wife?
I assume you know what happened to at least one of his children, but what about the other two?
Dave

Hi Philip,

This may be your John Brown:
B:19/Aug/1867(ref:S.Indexers)) - D:1934 Jun.Qtr/Ecc.Bierlow age 66 (Ref:BMD)
Married:15/Dec/1889 Sheffield/
Wife: Susannah Brown (nee Holmshaw)
B:25/Aug/1868 - D:1935(age66)(widow) Buried:July 2nd,Burngreave Cem. age66,died at 124 Grimesthorpe Rd. (Ref:S.Indexers)
D:1935 Jun qtr Sheffield age 66 (Ref:BMD)

Children
Albert Edwin John Holmshaw Brown B:1891/92 - D:April/1938(age46
Married:1912 Dec qtr Sheffield
wife: Effie G. Burrell

Elsie Brown - B:Aug 8th/1899 Sheffield- attended a private school and in Nov/1910 attended Neepsend Snr.Mixed School for one day only. (Ref.SI)

Bernard (poss.Holmshaw) Brown - B:abt.1907/08

John Brown B:1867: Parents:Mary Ann & Edwin Brown(Stonemason)
Susannah Holmshaw B:1868 Parents:Susannah & John Holmshaw (Scissor Grinder) (Ref: SI)

Wendy in Guelph:sleuth_or_spy:

Wendy,
The Susannah Brown buried at Burngreave seems to be the wrong one. She is in the same grave as Ann Wetton born 1843, who is in the 1911 census at Greystock Street and with her then is a Susannah Brown. The correct Susannah is with her husband and children in Fairfield Road in 1911.
Dave

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the correction, on further research, that Susannah Brown(nee Wetton) was the daughter of Ann & William Wetton.

The only other death I have found on Fam.Search, is for a Susannah Brown, D:1953 Sept qtr. Spen Valley/West Rid.Yks. (age 87) which again puts her in the right ballpark age-wise but probably not so, geographically.

Happy Hunting:sleuth_or_spy:

Her firstborn son Albert E J H Brown died in Grimsby in 1938. I wonder at the coincidence that a Susannah Brown age 74 died in Grimsby in 1942. Right age! It looks like her other son Bernard married and died in Fylde/Blackpool.
Dave

Hi Dave,
I am probably out to lunch on John Brown`s death also because there are so many.
As you suggest,it does makes sense for the Susannah Brown who died in Grimsby in 1942. to be a favourite for this family.

It is somewhat uncommon that Albert E J H Brown should die in Grimsby and be cremated at City Rd Sheffield and buried there.
There is a record of probate on Fam.Search for Albert-dated Sept 1.1939 at Lincolnshire. beneficiary: his wife Effie Gladys Brown
Effie Gladys Burrell(later Brown) B:19 Jan 1890 Sheffield- possible death:1978 Sept qtr. Derby. Derbyshire.

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Thanks everyone for your help with this.

Susannah's death in Grimsby would make sense as Albert E J H Brown went to live there after he lost both legs in a railway accident. With the compensation he opened a confectionery shop in Cleethorpes.

Sorry I can't be more helpful re John Brown. It's tricky I know with such a common name.

Regards

Philip

Philip, if we are to solve this we need all the help we can get.
Potential sources of info are:
1. The marriage record of Bernard Holmshaw Brown in Fylde in the 1920s. Do you have that? Does it indicate that his father was deceased?
2 Are you aware of a marriage record for Elsie Brown born 1899? Same question on that?
Answers to these two questions may reduce the number of possibilities of death records for John Brown.
Dave

Philip, I do not have a subscription with FMP but I even so I can see in their newspapers file that there is an article on 31 August 1929 announcing the death of John Brown age 62, of Cleethorpes, formerly of Sheffield, beloved husband of the late Susannah Brown. It seems he was on the golf course.
Fmp has his death registered Grimsby, and there is a coresponding death a few years earlier for 53 year old Susannah Brown registered Grimsby. Both those death registrations have exactly the right ages for the two that it must be them.
I assume someone with full access to FMP will dig out the full newspaper record.
Dave

Hi Philip,

This is the article that Dave found. 31 Aug 1929.

DEATHS.....John Brown, of "Clontare" Golf Links, Cleethorpes, late of Sheffield,
the beloved husband of the late Susannah Brown, died Tuesday, August 27th, age
62 years, Interment, Cleethorpes Cemetery, today (Saturday), at 2 o'clock.

Moira.

Dave and Moira

Thanks so much for your help in finding this information. I had all but given up hope of discovering what had happened to John and Susannah.

I’m immensely grateful to you both.

Happy New Year.

Philip