Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Query on Handsworth burial record

Hi,

My 2nd great aunt Eliza Maycock is buried at Handsworth Cemetery and the record is online here but I have a query on the record. She is buried with her husband Andrew and son Andrew but even though the grave numbers for all three match, the Andrews' records state they are in consecrated ground and Eliza in general/unconsecrated ground. All three say Orgreave Lane Ground. I am not familiar with this cemetery but I plan to pop up there on Saturday to see if there is a headstone for the family and I want to be sure that all three are definitely in the same grave. Would anyone with the original records be able to check?

Also, Andrew Morley Maycock should read Andrew Moseley Maycock.

Kind Regards
Claire

Re: Query on Handsworth burial record

Hello Claire
Apologies,Andrew's name has been mis-transcribed as Morley. It is written as Mosley in the register. I can email you an image if you wish.
Eliza's entry has "n c" in the cons/general column, so it is presumed to be unconsecrated. It may depend on who arranged the funeral, consecrated is generally presumed to be Church of England, but I'm not sure!
Christine Steers

Hi Christine,

Many thanks for taking a look at Andrew's name and Eliza's entry. I do think the n c on Eliza's entry will be non conformist because she was a Wesleyan Methodist. But as you say, that would mean she should be in the general ground. I can only assume that she is actually buried with her husband and son but now unsure which section, She was the first of the three to pass away. I am also confused that Find my Past burials have all three as being buried at Darnall Cemetery?? They have them also at St Mary Handsworth but I assume that was just the funeral itself and not the burial.

I am also confused which section I should be looking in tomorrow at Handsworth Cemetery (if they are there). I just went to print off a map but there is Orgreave Lane old and new sections and their burial entries on here just says Orgreave Lane Ground, doesn't say whether they are in the old or new part.

Actually just also checked on one of Eliza's siblings who is also buried at Handsworth Cemetery according to records on here...but again, FMP has her also at Darnall Cemetery. Is there a known issue with FMP that has the wrong cemetery tagged or could they all actually be at Darnall?

Regards
Claire

Hello Claire
Sorry if this is too late. The Grave Book for Handsworth says that plot 1769 was purchased by Andrew Mosley Maycock and three internments are listed. It is in the old part.
As you go into Handsworth cemetery, the old part is in left hand side and a wall divides the two areas Christine ps Pass on FMP and Darnall!!

Hi Christine,

No not too late, many thanks for clarifying the location/section and that all three people are indeed buried together.

Could I be cheeky and ask you to advise if another two plots are in the same section as the Maycock grave? They are for Eliza's siblings who I also hope to locate tomorrow. First one is Grace Jewitt buried 1958 in plot 912 consecrated. She seems to be on her own. The second is Ambrose Raybould buried 1957 in plot 939 consecrated. He is with wife Edith and I assume a member of her family.

Many thanks for all your help.
Claire

Hello Claire
George Jewitt is listed as owner of Grave 912 and Edith Raybould is listed as owner of 939 and it is noted as full.
I have emailed you a plot map for 1769 and will do the same for 912 and 939. They are near to each other and in the section below the Maycocks section. Good luck, Christine

Hi Christine,

Thank you so much for looking at the Jewitt & Raybould grave info and for the maps that you have sent for these plots and the Maycock one. Hopefully I will have luck in finding all three tomorrow :)

Regards
Claire