Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
World War 2 Sheffield service personell KIA

Anyone with knowledge if an attempt has been made to record the names of Sheffield lads and lasses who fell in WW2

Re: World War 2 Sheffield service personell KIA

Ancestry have civilian deaths but not sure about service personnel.

Hi Sue. Lot of interest recently re WW1 obviously and of course we have just had the 78th anniversary of the Sheffield Blitz.
A record of Sheffield people KIA in WW2 would seem to be a record in need of being produced for future generations.
The names involved would have to come from surviving relatives some of whom could have passed on.
Obtaining such information could come about from an initiative by the Sheffield Star and no doubt there readers of this forum with information.

A long and involved task, wish I had the time !

Roger,
You can get a list of over 2000 names from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site
Simply search for Ww2 and in the ADDITIONAL INFO field put Sheffield. You can download the results in Excel format. It picks up a couple of spurious results of men with surname Sheffield, and it has a small number of civilian casualties, but you can eliminate those easily in Excel
Dave

This is how we obtained the information for my uncle. My mother travelled to his grave (her brother-in-law) when she was 90, he's buried in Sicily.
Regards,
Marlene

Hi Roger.

Have you looked at this site?
https://www.worldwar2stories-sheffield.com

Angela

Good evening Angela and Dave. a big thank you for those 2 references.
All Sheffield folk and no doubt others from afar who look at this site will be more than interested !!

Roger

If anyone is interested I have an Excel File of 2320 Sheffield folk who were KIA in ww2. It includes name, age, rank, service number, regiment, date of death, place of death, and names of (Sheffield) next of kin.
I estimate that this represents about 45% of the Sheffield service personnel killed in WW2.
I have a similar file for Rotherham, though that list is only about 350 personnel.
Dave

Hi Dave

Do you think that file would be a useful addition to the information found here on the Sheffield Indexers site ?

Also, you state that there are many names still to be added.
What chance is there of full completion ?

Roger

Roger, it took me 2 minutes to download the filefrom CWGC website and another 10 mins to eliminate the 20 or so spurious ones.
The same can be done for any town or city, or even village, in UK, or even Australia or New Zealand. The missing names are all in the same CWGC website, but unfortunately they do not have next of kin recorded, so they cannot be identified with an address or region.
The only way I know to find the remainder would be individually as you indicated.
Dave