Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Memorial ?

I have a great uncle that died in France 1918 his name was Thomas Harrison he died at just 19,my question is his name is on the memorial plaque at Vishi en Artois could someone tell me please where he would have died ,when I have been looking for his death ,some say Passiondale Somme or Flanders sorry for my ignorance could it be anyone of these or are they all the same place ?

Many Thanks
Christine

Re: Memorial ?

Hi Chris,

If he’s on the memorial at Vis en Artois he wouldn’t have died in Flanders (which is the area around Ypres in Belgium.)
More likely that he died somewhere in the area around Arras, in France.
CWGC site says his name is on panel 9 of the memorial.

Heths

Chris, see the following

https://www.durhamatwar.org.uk/story/12924/

It gives the WW1 details of actions of the 15th DLI Batallion.
In particular see the last paragraph Your ancestor, being only 19, would have been in that last set of new recruits to replace the recently massacred many.
As Helen already said, in the Arras area.
The village of Vis en Artois was finally captured on 27th August by Canadian troops. Your ancestor died 3 days earlier, so he must have fallen somewhere between between Arras and Vis en Artois.
The DLI museum may be able to supply more details of the exact position of the 15th battalion on that day, 24th August 1918
Dave

Oops, sorry Heths for calling you Helen. Another senior moment
Dave

Thank you Heather and Dave for your replies I am so grateful sorry for the late reply trouble with pc .I will check all the info you have given me

Thanks
Chris

Hi Dave
I have just read the link you have sent ,it really is very humbling to read what they went through I will get in touch with the museum to see if they can let me have any more information ,What brave men they were

Thanks once again
Chris

Chris, have you seen your uncle's Medal Card, which shows that in his short time in the army he was in 3 different regiments?
Dave

Hi Dave
No I haven't seen his medal card .I have ancestry and that has brought up the date he enlisted ,his papers ,that were sent to his family when he died eg what effects he left and all his worldly goods so sad. Sorry for the late reply work load is heavy at the moment

Regards
Chris

Chris, his Medal Card is on Ancestry in the Ww1 medal cards index, which is free to view. It shows that he enlisted in the West Riding Regiment but later transferred to Northumberland Fusiliers then finally to DLI.
so it looks like he may have had previous battle experience before he transferred to the DLI.
Dave

Hi Dave
I have got him it took awhile as the page wouldn't load up ,but I have printed it off

Thank you so much for all your help its much appreciated

THANK YOU

Chris :smile: