Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lost in Canada

Hi I wondered if any one can help I am looking for the death for a Selina O'Donnell born Burnley 1900 maiden name Dawson married to Michael O'Donnell Died in Alberta Canada Thanks Dave W

Re: Lost in Canada

Hi Dave,
Do you know where in Alberta, Selina died and approx. what year?
Helen C.

SORRY everyone given you the wrong information. It should have said she was Sarah Elizabeth O'donnell maiden name Dawson born in Sheffield 1870.
Her daughter Selina O'donnell born Burnley 1900 is also a person I am looking for (the marriage and death) Sorry again Dave W

Hi Dave,

According to the Canada Passenger Lists on Family Search, Sarah O'Donnell aged 46 and
her daughter Selina aged 15, sailed in June 1916 and were heading for New Glasgow,
Quebec. Sarah gave her religion as R.C., and her intended occupation Housekeeper. They were going to join her brother Mr Walter Dawson, Hotel keeper, France? Street, New Glasgow, Quebec, who had been 10 years in Canada.

Have you any idea how she ended up in Alberta?

Moira.

Hi thanks for this information. I didn't know she had a brother called Walter but she had a brother called Walker Dawson who had gone to Canada about 1906 but he was not a hotel keeper He too was born in Sheffield 1876 and had I think 3 wives.(no tv) It is his relation I am in touch with in Canada and where Alberta has come from Thanks Dave

Hi Dave,

I have had another look at the entry on Family Search and the name could very
well be Walker Dawson. There is a picture of the entry so you could check
it for yourself.

Moira.

Hi Thanks. Could you send me the picture I have put my email address Thanks Dave.

Hi Dave,
I also went the same route as Moira and discovered Walker Dawson (Sarah Elizabeth's younger brother, etc., etc.,.)

When Sarah and Selina emigrated in June 1916, Walker's 2nd wife, Maude Reeves(?) had died in the March that same year.
When Walker married his 3rd wife Christina MacDonald in 1918, I imagine Sarah Elizabeth's services were no longer required.

Family Search website is free, you just have to register with a password, then you will see the document Moira referred to.
I also discovered on Family Search website, a possible marriage for a:
May Selina O'Donnell
birth est:1903 (Ireland?) -Spinster; age 28- residing at 485 East 59th Ave, Vancouver.- Occ: Housekeeper
Parents: Sarah Elizabeth Dawson and Michael O'Donnell
Married by License on 3rd July 1931 at a United Church.

Spouse: Wilfred Hamilton Jamieson, Bachelor, age 36 -
Occ: Salesman/shipper: est birth: 1895 at Melita, Manitoba,
residing 1074 Pender Street West, Vancouver.
More details about Wilfred H. parents can be found on this marriage record on Family Search.
If Selina stayed married to Wilfred then you should be looking for her death either as O'Donnell or Jamieson, possibly in Vancouver, B.C. or Manitoba.
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Thanks for the information I know about Walker and I am just starting to put the meat on the bones. My great grandad was Charles Dawson 1865-1945 he was their brother.
I am registered with family search but never think about using it I will have to start. THANKS AGAIN Dave W