Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Look Up - If possible

EDIT - Oops....I just read a posting that explains Godparents aren't actually listed. I should have looked a bit more before my posting below. So I guess I won't be learning anything new from that source. Oh well, keep on trucking, right? Thank you anyway.

Hello from across the pond in the U.S. I found the baptism of my 3rd GGrandfather, Charles Tudor on the Indexers site and noticed that Godparents may be mentioned in the record. I was wondering if any kind souls ever do research at the Churches in the area. I'm trying to piece together his parent's other family connections, and thought that maybe Godparent's name may hold a clue. The entry for him is as follows -

Tudor, Charles (of Sheffd, born 1823-01-18).
Baptised April 27, 1823, by M Preston at Sheffield Parish Church, Church Street, Sheffield.
Parents name(s) are Sarah & John (Cutler).
Note:
Godparents: ~ :Page No 3 :Reg No 24

I believe his mother was Sarah Froggatt.

Also, am I correct in thinking the Sheffield Parish Church might actually be St. Peter and Paul Cathedral in Sheffield

Thank you so much,
Linda

Re: Look Up - If possible

Linda, sorry, there are no godparents mentioned on the record. If there were they would be listed in the transcription. Understand the entry as follows:
"Godparents ~" means no godparents listed (the ~ is what the site uses to indicate empty field)
You are correct about Sheffield Parish church.
Dave

Thank you Dave.... I had just edited my post at about the same time you replied. I'll continue the search...
Thanks again!
Linda

Linda, if you go back into the baptisms on the left (under Parish Registers)and search fo Surname Tudor with Father John and Mother Sarah you will get a list of all their children.
Dave
EDIT: If you look in Apprentices to the left you will find a record for John Tudor.

Hi Linda,

1851 census - Clock Yard, Broad Lane, Sheffield.
Charles Tudor, head, mar, 28yrs (1823), Pen knife cutler.
Ellen Tudor, wife. 26yrs.
Children: Mary Ann 4, James 2 and Charles J. 1 All born Sheffield.

In 1861 the family are living at Brook Street, Sheffield.
There are two more children, John F. 7 and Edward W. 6.
Ellen is now down as being born in Ireland.

In 1871, Solly Street, Sheffield.
Two more children, Joseph Vincent 8 and Agnes Mary 6.
Ellen is again down as being born in Ireland

I could not find Charles on the 1841 census.

The burial of Charles in 1890, is on this site.

1841 census - Rockingham Street, Sheffield.
John Tudor, 40yrs, Pocket blade forger.
Sarah Tudor, 40yrs.
Children: William 20, Henry 14, George 11, Sarah 8, Elizabeth 6 and Joseph 1.

In 1851 the family are living at court 5, Orange Street, Sheffield.
There are two more children, Mary Ann 9 and Emma 7. All born Sheffield.

John Tudor bap 16 Apr 1800, Sheffield Parish Church, parents - Abraham and Hannah,
Shoemaker.

Moira.