Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Smith family from Ecclesall Bierlow

Hello everyone , I am trying to trace any family or information of a Harry Smith who on the 1901 Census registered at Southview Crescent Ecclesall Bierlow aged 8. His parents were Harry and Ada Smith, in 1917 he married Vera Gladys Bailey in Sheffield.
They had 2 children Vivian Charles Smith and Derek Smith.After 1921 I cannot find any information on him apart from a family story that he died in New Zealand.
Would be grateful of any help as he was my wife's paternal grandad.Many thanks Jim Houston.
P'S I think he had Siblings.

Re: Smith family from Ecclesall Bierlow

Jim,
Smith is always a problem. However the following, all Ecclesall Bierlow, seemsg to fit very well:
From Free BMD Harry Smith married Ada Singleton in 1885
From GRO Index, searching Smith births with mmn Singleton there are:

Emily Eveline 1886
Ada. 1887
HARRY 1892
William 1894
Gladys. 1897.

From FMP passenger lists, a Harry Smith born 1892 departed to New Zealand in 1921. I cannot find Vera G, Vivian C or Derrick on any passenger list
Dave

Dave

Hi James,

When Harry and Vera married at St. Cuthberts, Firvale, Sheffield in 1917, he gave
his address as, 106 Hudson Road, Woolwich, London and he is a mechanic.
Vera's address is 83 Bolsover Road, Sheffield.

Moira.

Hello Moira, In 1917 i think Harry may have been in the Forces and stationed in London.

Jim,
thanks for your private messages but I prefer to keep the discussion on this forum.
In answer to your questions about the Harry Smith who travelled to New Zealand in 1921, he travelled from Southampton to Auckland. To find the name of the boat, and the departure date, requires subscription to FMP which I do not have.
Dave

Hello Jim,

Following on from Dave's findings:
Mr Harry Smith, 29years, engineer of 83 Bolsover Road, Sheffield.
Sailed on the ship 'Remeira' which sailed on the 18th August 1921.
Southampton to Auckland. (The New Zealand Shipping Co.Ltd.)

1911 census - 83 Bolsover Road, Sheffield.
Charles Dean, 66yrs, Retired schoolmaster, born Mittington, Gloucestershire.
Annie Dean, wife, 65yrs, born Shefford, Bedfordshire.
Vera Jessie Bailey, daughter, 39yrs, widow, born Bredicot, Worcestershire.
Vera gladys Bailey, 15yrs, granddaughter, App.in Drapery, born Newbold Verdon, Leics.

Moira.

Hello , sorry for sending you a PM but i am new to this Forum and didnt know the set up.
Between you and Moira Ive had fantastic feedback regarding Harry Smith, I think i may have to trace some of his Siblings to get any information on his life as after he left his wife and kids they didnt speak much about him.Great work Dave many Thanks. Jim

Re: Smith family from Ecclesall Bierlo

Jim,
Have you tried to find his death record in New Zealand? The timing of that would be very telling. It may have been very soon after he arrived there or possibly many years later.
Tracing the descendants of his siblings is possible, but very difficult, and if successful, is likely to produce little or no info about him.
Dave

Hello Moira, Sorry I haven't been on here for a while but I was wondering where you got the information of Harry Smith living at 83 Bolsover Rd and his trade of Mechanic.If you could let me know I would be very grateful.Jim

Hi Jim,

The information was on findmypast.

Moira.

Hi,

If he was an engineer / mechanic living in Woolwich and you think he might have been in the forces, maybe he could have been involved with the Royal Arsenal.

Best regards
Heths