Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
death/burial search - Mary Ann NIXON after 1911

Mary Ann NIXON was born in Usselby in Lincolnshire in 1839. She came to Sheffield with her family after 1851. She was unmarried in 1911.

In 5 censuses, 1871-1911 Mary was a servant for the well-known FAVELL family (including William Fisher FAVELL, surgeon who died in 1896). In 1901 and 1911 the Favells and servants lived at 70 Clarkehouse Rd.

I cannot identify a GRO death or burial for Mary Ann. The Favells are buried in Fulwood but I can't see Mary Ann there (FMP has Fulwood burials up to 1963).

Mary Ann's parents (John & Harriet) are buried in Wardsend with some of her siblings, nephews/nieces etc. No sign of her there either.

I've run out of resources to try. Can anyone else spot her?

TIA

Hugh

Re: death/burial search - Mary Ann NIXON after 1911

Hugh,
Have you ruled out the 85 yr old Mary A Nixon who died 1924 in Kendal and the 88 yr old Mary Ann Nixon who died 1925 in Ingrow, w riding?
Dave

Hi folks sorry not been on the forum for a bit, work and hospital trips getting in the way.

Just my thoughts on this (but no doubt daft ones)

Could it be possible that Mary Nixon - I know she would be old - got married

or could the GRO have indexed her surname wrongly because the registrar either mis heard the surname or his/her handwriting was so poor that the GRO could not read it properly and hence she is under a different surname on the index.

I wonder if Sheffield Register office would be willing to check their indexes for you.

John

Hugh

With reference to the index of wills and probate 1858-1996 at gov.uk.

“NIXON Mary Ann of Beetham Milnthorpe Westmorland spinster died 2 May 1924 Probate Carlisle 7 November to Caroline Lambert Favell spinster. Effects £402 11s 9d”

This seems to correspond with the death registered at Kendal 2Q 1924.

Nigel

Thank you all and apologies for the delay in responding.

The combination of the death record in Kendal and the probate record solves the mystery.

Mary Ann leaves the little money she had to Caroline a member of the family who had employed her since at least 1871. She may still have been in service in Kendal where Caroline also died a few years later.

Thank again

Hugh

It doesn't always mean that she left the money to the name mentioned she could have just been the named executor. I had something similar and when I purchased the will my ancestor had named several relatives that I hadn't even known about.

Hugh,
£402 seems a small amount, but in today's value that is about £23,000. A copy of the will costs £10 from GRO. As Sue says it is very likely to be very informative.
Dave