Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Inquest?

I have ordered a Death Certificate from RGO for 1869. There was an inquest into this death. How do I order the inquest as the certificate doesn't provide the information that I needed?
Thank you, Jane Thomas, Ottawa, Canada

Re: Inquest?

If you post the name and dates etc of this person - I am sure someone will have access to to newspapers and possible find the inquest.

Death in North Sheffield of
John Beresford in Infirmary, male, 23 years, general Labourer, died 21 February 1869 of Pyaemia, broken Ankle.
Inquest held 22 Feb. 1869, death registered 23 Feb. 1869.

I am looking for the husband of Sarah (Jones) Berrisford(X her mark) who is in the home of Robert Smedley 1881 Census, Apple St. Sheffield.

From the Sheffield Independent 23 February 1869:

DEATH FROM A BROKEN ANKLE. --Mr. Webster, the coroner, yesterday held an lnquest at the Infirmary, on the body of a man named John Beresford, whose death was the result of a broken ankle. The deceased was a labourer and was working at the railway cutting in the Park. About ten days ago, as a cart filled with stone was being tilted, one of the stones rolled from the cart some yards along the road, and then struck the deceased's ankle. A bone was broken, and the deceased was taken to the Infirmary, where he died on
Sunday. A verdict in accordance with these facts was returned.

Thank you, fast work!!

Yes, its a great site and I knew once the name etc was posted you would have results.