Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Horace(Sam)Swain

I am researching Horace Swain who was born in Sheffield in 1877 the son of Alfred Swain and Harriet Maw. He emigrated to Canada in 1903 where he married my Great Aunt Florence Tingle in 1904.She had also emigrated from Sheffield along with her widowed mother Maria Tingle nee Sanderson and her sister Lily in 1895.In WW1 Horace served with the 51st Canadian Light Infantry as a cook his service number was 437136.It appears he served all through the war but on his return to Canada in July 1919 he was accidentally drowned at Alberta Bay in Canada. It seems that he was buried then exhumed and placed in a War Grave. I have been unable to find any details of what happened and wondered if anyone could help me with regard to this Many Thanks in anticipation.

Re: Horace(Sam)Swain

Hi Margaret,

Just a suggestion but could Horace/Sam have committed suicide after returning from WW1.
If it was found at a later date it was due to a mental breakdown caused by the War could that have been the reason for exhumation

Just an idea.

Elaine in Florida.

PS. Where was he actually buried and then where did they move him too.
Both places may have information.

Hi Margaret,

Sheffield Daily Telegraph, 26th August 1919.

DEATHS...SWAIN...On the 24th July, at Alberta Beach, Canada, whilst bathing,
Horace Swain of Edmonton, Canada, late of Canadian Forces and eldest Son of
Mr & Mrs Alfred Swain, 114 Wood Road, Hillsborough. Buried with military
honours on July 29th at Edmonton.

Moira.

I wondered if this was what had in fact happened. His small daughter had also died in 1919 though I don't have an exact date for that so its a guess it may have had some connection. He is buried in a War Grave in Mt Pleasant Municipal Cemetery, Edmonton according to Find a Grave. The Canada War Graves (Circumstances of Casualty) form is nearly impossible to read on the copy I have but I can make out that he was Exhumed and moved to a soldiers plot. I believe he was part of a dispersal draft on board the ship Olympic which I think was travelling to Halifax Nova Scotia. Think there may have been some details in a local newspaper but I don't have access to either Ancestry or other sites at the moment. Sorry the information is a little sketchy but what I have has been sent to me by a contact in Canada and even she has had problems getting information as she lives out in the wilds far from archives.

Moira that is brilliant .Our postings have crossed over. What a find. Thank you so much .I can now send this info on to Canada where I am sure it will be greatly received by the relatives of the Tingle family.

I do believe there was a report in a local newspaper in Canada at the time which may have given more details .The paper was Lethbridge Herald printed in Lethbridge ,Alberta Canada but I don't think anyone will be able to access that for me? Would there have been a coroners report anywhere that I might be able to find?

Hi Margaret,

Just a suggestion.

How about contacting the Commonwealth War Graves people and see if they can help.
How about the death cert it may also offer clues.

Elaine in Florida.

Thanks Elaine may just do that.Thanks.