Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grave Inscriptions C of E Cathedral Gravestones

I am looking for an inscription to a grave of someone who died in 1817. He is likely to have had a grave as he left a substantial sum in his will. However, I am aware that a lot of graves were dug up and stones removed in the 1960s or 1970s when the road and pedestrian underpasses were put into Church St and again when the new tram lines were laid. Did anyone transcribe all the stones? Also are there any transcriptions for the remaining stones and memorials both inside and outside the Cathedral?

Re: Grave Inscriptions C of E Cathedral Gravestones

Hi,

Looking back at my notes it looks that Sheffield Archives hold the MI's for the Cathedral.

If you check Sheffield & District Family History Society website you can check if they have transcribed any MI's.

There is also a note regarding the MI's in "The Small Guide to the Parishes in the Sheffield Area" from the S&DFHS that states:

Monumental Inscription:Sheffield Archives
Inscriptions from the churchyard, including some removed for widening of Church St. Index Full inscriptions from inside the Parish Church with an index of names
www.picturesheffield.com

Note sure if picturesheffield actually shows these indexes???

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Thank you for this very useful and speedy response it gives me more hope that there will be some inscriptions which are relevant to me.

Helen Best
Thank you for this very useful and speedy response it gives me more hope that there will be some inscriptions which are relevant to me.
If you contact the Cathedral they will allow you to view the Ledger Stones book.
There is a page for each headstone.
Some headstones were so worn that the writing was partially destroyed but most are recorded.
The Cathedral staff were very helpful and even located mea room to view the book n.