Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WILLIAM WHEATCROFT

Has any one got any information regarding the son of Luke Wheatcroft & Mary Gill William Wheatcroft all I have found about him for certain is the he was baptized 27 - 09 - 1795 at the Cathedral Sheffield, Although I have found a 1851 for a William Wheatcroft born 1995 in Heeley Yorkshire He is a Widower his trade Spring Knife Cutler with a son Joseph born 1836 and a daughter Mary born 1839, also a marriage for a William Wheatcroft to Harriet Andrews 26 - 12 - 1832 at The Cathedral Sheffield,
also found a burial record for a William Wheatcroft 1860 Sheffield burial date 29 - 04 - 1860 age 64.
I would be very grateful if any one can assure me this is one and the same person or have I lost the plot altogether.
My very best wishes.
Fred Wheatcroft.

Re: WILLIAM WHEATCROFT

Hi Fred,

The only info that I am turning up is the burial & 1851 census.

WHEATCROFT, William (, died on ?, at the age of 64).
Resided at Middle Heely and buried on 29 Apr 1860 in ? ground;
Grave Number ?, Section ? of St Mary Cemetery, Bramall Lane.

Do you know where he was in 1841?

Elaine in Ottawa.

PS.

More findings that look pretty conclusive its one and the same person.

WHEATCROFT, Harriet (, died on ?, at the age of 35).
Resided at Heeley and buried on 17 Aug 1841 in ? ground;

WHEATCROFT, Harriet (, died on ?, at the age of 2+).
Resided at Middle Heeley and buried on 13 Sep 1842 in ? ground;

Instant Messenger: Skype

Fred and Elaine
There is even more evidence for this in the St Mary Heeley graveyard.
Also there are:
Luke Wheatcroft buried 9 July 1837, age 64 from Heeley
Mary Wheatcroft buried 28 August 1835 age 58. From Heeley
These must be William's mother (nee Gill) and father.
In theory there should hard evidence on GRO wrt MMN. However young Harriet who died age 2 in 1842 has no birth reg so no luck there.
However there is a William age 6weeks buried there on 8th August 1841. Note that is just 9 days before Harriet age 35 was buried. There is no GRO birth reg or death reg for this William. However in that quarter there is a birth registration and a death registration for a Frederich Wheatcroft and the birth reg gives MMN Andrew, which was Harriet's maiden name.
It looks like Harriet (nee Andrew(s)) gave birth in Q3 1841 and the birth was registered as Frederick. He died 6 weeks (or maybe 6 days??) later and was death registered as Frederick. However when he was buried he was mistakenly named William. His mother must have been very sick because she was buried only 8 days later.
THa parish register on this site show that William and Harriet had Elizabeth in 1834 and Joseph in 1836/7. Elizabeth married in 1850.

Looking at Apprentices over to the left, Luke Wheatcroft (age 12) was apprenticed to Jonathon Gill (cutler of Heeley) in 1785 for 8-11 years so it looks like Luke married his master's daughter Mary in 1794 and William was born 1795.
Unusually Luke did not purchase his freedom till 1810, which was about 15 years after he must have completed his apprenticeship. Jonathon Gill died 1814.
It is all circumstantial, but very convincing.
Can anyone find baptisms for Harriet Wheatcroft born 1840 or Mary Wheatcroft born 1838/9? If their parents were William and Harriet it would be extra evidence.
Dave

No baptism for Harriet found.

Mary Wheatcroft born 27 June 1838, baptised 5 August 1838 at Sheffield Parish Church.
Parents - William and Harriet, cutler.

Moira.

I couldn't find a birth for a Harriet on the GRO

Hi Dave/Fred,

The Elizabeth Wheatcroft who married in 1850 was 30yrs old (1820) and her father
was Samuel Wheatcroft.

I think this is Elizabeth in 1851 at 45 Howard Street, Sheffield.
Elizabeth Wheatcroft, 17yrs (1834), House servant, born Heeley, Dby.
She is working for John and Maria Wood.

Elizabeth Wheatcroft, born 10 June 1834, bap 27 July 1834 at Sheffield Parish Church.
Parents - William and Harriet, cutler.

1841 census, Heeley, Sheffield.
Joseph Wheatcroft, 35yrs (1802-1806), Cutler.
Harriet Wheatcroft, 30yrs.
Elizabeth Wheatcroft, 7yrs.
Joseph Wheatcroft, 5yrs.
Mary Wheatcroft, 3yrs.
Harriet Wheatcroft, 2yrs. All born in county.
I have pondered over this entry. The children seem to match those of William and
Harriet. I can not find any baptisms for these children where the parents are
Joseph and Harriet. Neither can I find a marriage for a Joseph and Harriet.
Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Moira.

Hi Moira
Thanks for the correction on Elizabeth.
Imagine the situation on 7th June 1841. William out at work and Harriet, 8 months pregnant with Frederick, at home with a kids of 7, 5, 3 and 2. I am sure she was pleased to see a stranger asking silly questions about her family. Why William became Joseph I do not know. Perhaps the correct age of 46 was misread as 40 when the enumerator transcribed.his original forms. I assume both Harriet and William were illiterate.
I think your bark is on the right tree, if you will pardon the pun.
Dave

Hello Fred et al,

What a Pandora's Box. Just thought I would toss in another mystery.
William Wheatcroft appears to have several siblings with Luke and Mary as parents.
Among these is a Joseph Bapt.Apr/1802/Sheff.Cath.

In 1851 Joseph (also widowed) is living with some of his siblings headed by his unmarried brother, Luke (Bapt.1799). Note: No children with Joseph.

Meanwhile:
In 1851 William Bapt.Sept/1795 (also widowed)together w/two children, Joseph and Mary and four lodgers.

In 1841 we see Joseph & Harriot w/four children: Elizabeth/Joseph/Mary and Harriot

In 1841 I have struggled to find William but would suggest this one as a possibility:

William Wheatcroft B.abt.1796, Elizabeth Wheatcroft B,abt.1796, William Wheatcroft B:abt.1833 all with births in Derbyshire.
They are living with George & Rebbecca Haggott plus 9 other lodgers.
I know this does not fit the William and Harriet that has previously been discussed in other threads but given the confusing options, plus the fact that Luke and Mary's origins were in Chesterfield and a number of Luke's siblings stayed around Derbyshire, why not!!

Another suggestion: Could the Harriet who died in Aug/1841 have been Joseph's wife and could William and his wife have taken in Joseph and Mary after 1841 and then William's wife could have died before 1851..??
Sorry to have muddied the waters even more.
HAPPY HUNTING
Wendy in Guelph:sleuth_or_spy:

Hello again Fred et al,

A 'lightbulb' moment has occurred, albeit guesswork.

What if: Harriet left William sometime after 1838, taking the children with her and went to live with William's brother, Joseph.
Then when Harriet died in 1841, William's children were returned to him.
This would explain why there are no children with Joseph in 1851 (his own two having died) when he is living with his brother, Luke and other siblings.

It also explains why both William and Joseph are both recorded as widows on the 1851 census. However, I have not found a marriage for Joseph and Harriet between 1838-1841, neither have I found where William is in 1841, he is not with his brother Luke.

Note: Joseph is still living with Luke in 1861 as a widow but in 1871, Joseph is now recorded as unmarried and living with Luke (on this census Luke is shown as Lester for some reason).

Hope this shines a light,.. if on the right track..??

HAPPY HUNTING :sleuth_or_spy:

What if widowed Joseph was living with brother William and family in 1841 and the enumerator left William off his transcription.It solves the mysteries of why Joseph is there and why William is nowhere.
Dave

Hi Dave et al,

Yes, that is another possibility, yet another possible worm crawling out of this can.

Cheers
Wendy in Guelph:sleuth_or_spy: