Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help needed Slingsby

Hi I have returned doing my family tree after a break. I am trying to trace the parents of a William Slingsb born around 1735 I am presuming in Doncaster as my early ancestors lived in Doncaster before moving to Sheffield. I have William married to a Sarah Bingham they had a son called William born around 1759 his wife was Mary Scofield. Would like to go a little further back any help or pointers in the right direction appreciated. TIA

Re: Help needed Slingsby

Hi Carol,

William Slingsby bap 8 April 1734, St George, Doncaster, father - Major.

I searched 10 years either side of the above and there were three more
baptisms, all with the father named Major.
Ann 10 Oct 1738, Hannah 10 Nov 1740 and Joseph 15 Nov 1736. All Doncaster.

Moira.

Thank you for that. Will have to do some digging to see if i can find his father and go a little further back 😊

Hi Carol,

There is some info on Family Search that may possibly be a link.

Major Slingsby Bapt: 25th May 1708 at Spofforth (nr.Harrogate)
Father: Joseph Slingsby

There are also some possible siblings for Major, all baptized in Spofforth, Yks. all to be found on Family Search.
Genuki website also has some info about Spofforth.

Happy Hunting
Wendy in Guelph:sleuth_or_spy:

In 1741 Major Slingsby is on the register of Poll Books at Carcroft, Doncaster

A search on FMP of all Slingsby deaths in Doncaster reveals that a Major Slingsby was buried in 1755. Between 1730 and 1800 there was only one female burial there and that was Ann in 1757. It is therefore likely, but not certain, that she was his wife.
Dave

Thank you for that. I will add the dates to my tree.I did have his wife as being Elizabeth but him having a daughter Ann. But maybe I'm wrong

Hi Carol,

County Apprentices 1710-1808.
Master: Major Slingsby, Blacksmith & Farrier.
Place: Doncaster, 1736, premium £2.0.0.
Apprentice: John Clough of East Creswick.

Moira.

Hi wonder if you can point in the right direction i have Major Slingsbys father as Jos i presume its short for Joseph i am guessing he would have been born between 1680-1695 ish but i am struggling to find him. Any help appreciated. I am guessing he was from N Yorkshire as this fits with other records i have found.TIA Carol