Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rape Cutter?

Morning,

Could anyone come up with what a Rape Cutter is or was. I know about Rape Seed.

IGGO, Alma (of 12Ct 2ho Greaves St, born 1920-09-21).
Baptised October 6, 1920, by ~ at St Mary, Walkley.
Parents name(s) are Alice & John Herbert (Rape Cutter).

One of my extended family.

Elaine in Ottawa.

PS any Iggo researchers if you click on the Tribalpages website link above you will see what I have.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Re: Rape Cutter?

Elaine, can you check the original for possible transcription error? In 1920 there was no significant rape seed production in England.
Dave

Thanks Dave for your input. That was going to be my next step.

Vicki can you have your St Mary's contact re check that entry please.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Perhaps it should read rope cutter as there was a ropery in Sheffield.

Hi Rose,

Yes, my late father mentioned to me a few times that there was a rope works next to his childhood home. The company was called Mudfords and he said it was in the quarry on Lydgate Lane.

Heths

An earlier IGGO baptism says 'rake(?) maker' in the transcription (Edna 1917). When Edna married, her father was described as a file cutter.

I am going to guess that it is meant to be 'rasp cutter'.

These registers are not available at FMP (the latest year they have is 1912) so to check the transcription probably means a trip to the archives.

Hugh

I looked at this entry this morning at the Archives, and it looks like "rape". I like Hugh's suggestion of "rasp", but it is definitely not that - the "p", if it is that, is the 3rd letter.

Kevin

Thanks guys for your suggestions and Kevin for checking it out at the Archives. Its much appreciated.

Will be leaving it as Rape.

Elaine in a soggy Ottawa..........

PS. .... very grateful after Fridays Tornado's x3 and no damage except for no hydro for three days. That is noting compared to the poor souls who have lost their homes. Four folks in hospital but no deaths thank goodness.

From the Oxford English Dictionary

Origin: A borrowing from French. Etymon: French rape.
Now rare (Eng. regional (Yorkshire) in later use).

A rasp, a rough file. Also attributive in rape-file.

The latest citation is from 1888 in...

Sidney Oldall Addy · A glossary of words used in the neighbourhood of Sheffield

===================================================================================

From a letter in the Sheffield Independent, 8 Mar 1893...

THE MARKING OF FILES

...I can fully confirm that portion of Mr. Barnsley's letter in which he says that the American machine-punched rasp is much superior to those made in Sheffield, which are hand-punched... One of my customers[in Australia] gave me an American rasp with an order for 100 dozen, on the explicit understanding that they must be precisely to the pattern. I am sorry to say I have not been able yet to execute that order, although I have some of the best rape cutters in Sheffield trying to punch one like it...

Hugh

Thanks Hugh,

Have added it to my list of occupations.

Elaine in Ottawa.