Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RAMSDEN -COLLIER FAMILY

My late father ( William Ramsden) lost the only known family picture of his father Leonard Ramsden (1893 - 1938) during active service in RN during WW2.Leonard is buried at Burngreave Cemetery .Leonard had a watchmakers /jewellers shop at 828 Attercliffe Road (now demolished but seen in the 1970's) but also went to London/Bromley in the mid to late 1930 s and was apparently a watchmaker and part time photographer. He signed up in WW1 but after training at Ripon he was invalided due to a heart condition but ,may have rejoined as a medic

Until recently we did not know my grandfather had 2 half brothers surname Collier:Frederick G Collier born 1900 and Wilfrid Victor born 1904 and so Im hoping there might be some information out there to tie this together and if possible produce a picture of my grandfather and contact with the Collier Family

Re: RAMSDEN -COLLIER FAMILY

Hi Stuart,

1901 census, 39 Belmoor Road, Attercliffe-cum-Darnall, Sheffield.
Frederick Collier, head, mar, 48yrs, Painter at steel works, born Witney, Oxfordshire.
Lily Collier, wife, 34yrs, born Sheffield.
Leonard Ramsden, Step son, 9yrs, born Sheffield.
Frederick G. Collier, son, 1yr, born Sheffield.

1911 census, 628 Brightside Lane, Sheffield.
Frederick Collier, head, mar, 57yrs, Painter steel works, born Witney, Oxon.
Eliza Matilda Collier, wife, 43yrs, born Sheffield. Totally deaf.
Leonard Ramsden, Stepson, 18yrs, Watchmaker assistant, born Sheffield.
Fred George Collier, son, 11yrs, born Sheffield.
Wilfred Victor Collier, son, 7yrs, born Sheffield.

Lily Ramsden married Frederick Gamester Collier, Q1 1899 Sheffield.

As yet I have not found a death for Lily.

Leonard Ramsden married Lillian Gladys Proctor, 25 April 1917 at St. Mary's, Bramall Lane and his father's name is given as Arthur Ramsden (deceased).

Moira.

I think Lily and Eliza Matilda are the same person...

GRO Births MAR Qtr 1868
RAMSDEN Eliza Matilda
Ecclesall B 9c 250

Hugh

There was a baby Frederick Gamester Collier born 1898 died 1898 to mother with maiden name Atkinson.
Its an extremely unusual name but I can't find a marriage prior to 1898 for a marriage between the Frederick Gamester Collier and an Atkinson

According to GRO Index that baby Frederick had a twin sister Flora May, who also died in the same period. Their mother Flora also died then. She was 38 so presumably had been married before.
Dave