Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Occupation

Is anyone good with Occupations ??
I am trying to find the parents of my relative ELIZABETH CLARKE. She married JOSEPH CLOVER on 2nd May 1852 at Sheffield Parish Church aged 19 living on Carver Street and her father is William. I have tried everything but cannot find either Elizabeth or William. I was hoping I could use Williams occupation to help but cannot work out what it says. The certificate is on FindMyPast (I dont know if im allowed to attach the image or how to do it) If anyone can view this and come up with anything I would be very grateful.
The cencus for Elizabeth Clover contradicts her birth as Sheffield or Ireland so not sure where im heading. Elizabeth died 1915 age 83 in Sheffield. If any one can offer me any information about Elizabeth i would be very grateful
Heres hoping, thanks
Karen

Re: Occupation

Hi Kazbat,

The occupation for father William on the marriage certificate is 'presser'
The old form of 's' has been used and is an 'f'.

Not sure if you already have the 1841 census, but the family are living in Carver Street, father William is a 'scale presser' and Elizabeth is down as being born
in Ireland.

Moira.

Thanks Moira I would never have read that as Presser.
No I havent found the 1841 Cencus Ive looked on both FMP and Ancestry looking for both Elizabeth and William but still cant find it. Where did you see it, would you send me more information please ?
Thanks again Karen

Actually Moira I dont have the 1851 or the 1841 Cencus. Ive tried everything. Ive also looked for a description of what a presser was. Do you think it refers to a tailors presser. Would this be the sort of industry in the area of Carver Street in 1850.
Thanks Karen

Hi Karen,

I found the census on FMP. The trouble with FMP is that it has Sheffield split
into areas, Sheffield, Ecclesall Bierlow, Heeley etc. and it does'nt always pick up on the one you are looking for. Sometimes I just enter Yorkshire West Riding and then work my way through them.

1841 census, Carver Street, Sheffield.
Wm. Clarke, 35yrs, Scale presser, Y.
Maria Clarke, 25yrs, Y.
William Clarke, 10yrs, Y.
Henry Clarke, 8yrs, Y.
Elizabeth Clarke, 6yrs, born Ireland.
James Clarke, 2yrs, Y.
(Ages in !841 are rounded down to nearest 0 or 5).

1851 census, 24 Coldwell Lane, Sheffield, Ecclesall Bierlow.
Maria Clark, head, Widow, 38yrs, House keeper.
William Clark, son, 20yrs, Haft and scale presser,
Henry Clark, son, 18yrs, Haft and scale presser.
James Clark, son, 12yrs, Scholar.
Robert Clark, son, 10yrs, Scholar.
Maria Clark, dau, 5yrs.
George Clark, son, 2yrs.
All born Sheffield.

Burial 22 November 1849, St. James.
William Clarke of Sheffield, aged 44years.

Moira.

Hi Moira
Thats Fab thanks so much.
Sorry missed the "Scale" bit of his occupation it does help if you read things properly !!
Thanks again
Karen

Hi Kazbat, Occupation could be a scale dresser in an iron foundry sounds more likely for Sheffield.

Thanks Barry. I did think steel would be more of a possibility than tailoring. Im just glad that someone could work it out.
Thanks again
Karen

My GGGrandfather was a razor scale presser. He made the handles for cut throat razors. He was also described as a haft presser or scale presser. Bearing in mind the occupations of the Clarks in 1851 I think that this is quite likely.
Regards
Anne

Very happy to see this article is still online, recommended for anyone interested in pressers in Sheffield...

Horns, Bones, Tusks, Antlers and Hooves
http://www.oregonknifeclub.org/horn.html

Hugh

I would like to thank everyone for all the information they have given me.
After so much searching I have found my relatives and also gone from thinking they must be involved in the tailoring industry to the steel trade. But then Hugh pointed out the fabulous online article which then explains a "Scale Presser" of the Cutlery Industry which use bone for the handles of knives etc.
Having read this article I have been able to add another branch to my tree with the head of the household being a "Bone Dealer" !!!!
I wonder if they were involved in their working day, a bit of keep it in the family.
Thanks again everyone Ive been able to "add a bit of meat to the bones" as they say :laughing:
Karen