Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Any help greatly appreciated!

Hi i am trying to trace the Brady side of my family which my Dad knows very little about. I have found a marriage record for a joannen (john) brady marrying a Mariem (Mary) Hannan (Hannam but seems to be spelt in lots of different ways), on this site. Is there a way i can see the record or pay for a copy or even someone just have a look at it for me as this is the only record of the marriage i can find, and i am struggling to find any info on these people before this date. I know they are from Ireland and i know its trickier finding records.

A bit of basic info if anyone fancies having a look at this for me, maybe point me in the right direction.

John Brady b.1856-1858 ish (Census & Death records), born in ireland the moved to england before 1876. Father Name Patrick Brady

Mary Hannam b 1860 ish in Ireland then moved to England before 1876. Father Name Patrick Hannam

Please ask if you need any further information and thatnk you in advance.

kind regards
Sharon

Copy of the text from the record.

Brady, Joannem (~, age ~, ~, residing at Sheffield).
Married Mariam Hannam, on October 9, 1876, by M. Quish (~) at
St Vincent's, Sheffield. Father's name is Patricii Brady (~).
Married in the presence of Hugone Connor, Catherina Dwyer.
Notes: ~.
Page No: ~ Reg No: 120

Re: Any help greatly appreciated!

The civil marriage record of John Brady to Mary Hannam in Sheffield is on Free BMD in Q4 1875. That means you can order the marriage certificate from GRO at a cost of £9.25.
Dave

Hi Sharon,
Your relatives and mine were neighbours in 1891. Your John and Mary Brady with children Maggie, John, Patrick and Ann were living at 5th house 6Ct. White Croft and my Christopher and Louisa Green with children Francis and Thomas, father John and brother John Green are living at 2nd house 6Ct. White Croft. As Dave has said, sending for the marriage certificate will make sure you are on the right track, but I can make a guess at part of your family history using the parish records and burial records on this site and the censuses. I think Mary Hannam is the daughter of Patrick Hannam and Ellen Begley. Some of the baptisms of their children are listed under parish records for St. Vincent's church, on this site, though Winifred seems to have been born in Bolton, Lancashire. Mary (Hannam)Brady died age 33 within days of the 1891 census being taken and is buried at St. Michael's Rivelin with a large number of unrelated people but also with an infant Ann Brady who died a week after mom. Mary died at White Croft, the baby died at Hollis Croft. I think John Brady died in 1910 at the Asylum and is also buried at St. Michael's Rivelin but with his mother in law, Ellen Hannam and a nephew Patrick Page. The age is off but the age would have been given by someone who may not have known the correct age. In 1881, Patrick and Ellen Hannan are living at 64 Hollis Croft with their children Ellen and Winifred. Ellen the younger went on to marry a John Allen in 1886 and in 1901 they have an adopted son, Patrick Brady living with them whose age corresponds to the age of your Patrick Brady. Patrick Brady is still living with his widowed aunt Ellen (Hannam) Allen in 1911 at Hollis Croft. Winifred Hannam went on to marry Henry Page. It is their son Patrick who is buried with her mother Ellen Hannam and John Brady. When Winifred Page is buried in 1933 she had died at Hollis Croft. So mostly speculation here, but I believe Ellen (Hannam) Allen and Winifred (Hannam) Page are Mary (Hannam) Brady's sisters. Hope this helps. Hannam, Mariam (~, age ~, ~, residing at Hollis Croft).
Married Joannem Brady, on October 9, 1876, by M. Quish (~) at
St Vincent's, Sheffield. Father's name is Patricii Hannam (~).
Married in the presence of Hugone Connor, Catherina Dwyer

Helen C.

Hi, thanks for your help. Thats amazing our families being neighbours all thise years ago. I did know most of it after the marriage just not before it. Very sad really as Mary died just after the birth of their daughter ann whom also died and they are burried together. I thought John died in 1893 in the workhouse so I will check that. I have been to the cemetery as quite a few of my Brady family are there.

I am going to look more at the hannam side now with the info you have given me, hopefully one of these will give me a clue to when they came over from Ireland.

Thanks again
Sharon

You may find this site helpful

https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=32&Itemid=117