Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Biggins

my Sarah Biggins said she came from 'Allum' in the census returns, I think she might have meant Hallam in Sheffield. Has anyone come across her family, she was born about 1794 and married farmer William Firth and lived at Rockley Abbey

Re: Biggins

sent you an email

Hi Val,

I have sent your message on to a fellow BIGGINS researcher.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Val,
Elaine has alerted me to your query. My maiden name is Biggins and I have done quite a lot of research into our ancestry. I have not come across this Sarah Biggins, however I have found a baptism listed for her in 1794 at the Cathedral with parents of Isaac and Ann.

I cannot find a marriage to this William Firth, nor can I find them in any census, can you tell me where you found them at Rockley Abbey, which I believe is the Barnsley area of South Yorkshire. There are quite a few different branches of the Biggins clan. I don't have an Isaac in my tree but I do know of a couple, one who lived at Norton (which would be classed as Hallam) and another in Ecclesall, Sheffield (also classed as Hallam). If you could let me have any more details which you may have, I'll see if I can find anything.

Regards
WendyW

Hello,

I have note of a Sheffield marriage between Isaac Biggin of Norton & Ann Pickford 18/3/1792. This would appear to be the same Isaac as Isaac s of Joseph & Ann of Little Norton, baptized at St James' Norton 2/3/1774, but there were a number of Isaacs around at this time. I think Joseph was the brother of Isaac 1721-80, my ancestor who was churchwarden here at Norton, where I am Rector.

Geoffrey:relaxed:

Hello

On FMP there is a marriage between William Firth of Tankersley and Sarah Biggin of Worsborough. The marriage was by licence "with consent of parents" at the Chapelry of Worsborough, 14th Feb 1814.

Anne

Rather surprisingly, FamilySearch provides the baptism in Sheffield, the marriage in Worsboro' and the key facts of the marriage licence which links them together:
Name William Firth
Spouse's Name Sarah Biggin
Event Date 11 Feb 1814
Event Place York, England
Spouse's Father's Name Isaac Biggin

A copy of the Licence could be ordered from the Borthwick through findmypast (which incidentally gives the couple's ages as 21 & 19, but doesn't provide the bride's father).

Geoffrey:slightly_smiling_face:

thank you Elaine, I've had some lovely replies

I have Sarah and William Firth living at Rockley Abbey in the 1841, 1851 and 1861 census. In the 1861 census Sarah is a widow farming 106 acres listing Worsborough as her place of birth. In the 1851 census she said she was born in Allam, Yorkshire.
Because she married William Firth before 1837 I don't have a marriage certificate, but I have her death certificate on 4 October 1870 age 78, widow of William Firth, farmer.
They seem to have had 10 children between 1816 and 1837.
I also have a death certificate for Isaac Biggin on 22 June 1838, at Robroyd where the informant was his daughter Sarah Firth
It was a puzzle to know why she was born and Christened in Sheffield. I think I need to see if Isaac Biggin is in a trade directory for the Sheffield area before moving to Robroyd

Thank you Ann, I was hoping that was the right couple

Thank you Geoffrey, I like the idea I can find a marriage record at the Borthwick. I've not tried them before. i'll see what I can do.

That's fantastic, Anne. I don't live too far from York, so I might treat myself to a trip to the archives, many thanks for sending the marriage record

Hi Val,

Have you looked at our Directory entries over to the left?

A number of Isaac BIGGIN's listed there.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Than you Elaine