Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thomas Storey

I am trying to trace a Thomas Storey Born Harthill (Worksop) 1847 however he would also appear to have been buried there but states Handsworth at the side saying were he died and there is a death in Sheffield that has the same date 1918 age 71 I know he was in Nottinghamshire 1911 is there anything in Sheffield I could look up between 1911 and 1918 that might help me please.

Re: Thomas Storey

Kathleen, the death cert is likely to give circumstances surrounding his death, as well as cause.
It is available in PDF format from GRO for £6.
Dave

Dave Thank you yes I have sent for certificate but crossing my fingers Free BMD say page 714 GRO say 713 gone with 713 so watch this space

Hi Kathleen

Maybe after the 1911 Census Thomas and Hannah moved to Handsworth.
He then passed away so his death was registered in Sheffield but he was buried in Harthill- possible a family grave?
As there does not seem to be a corresponding death 1918 registered in Worksop which covers Harthill, the Sheffield one looks viable.
There is also this 1925 directory entry which may or may not be relevant

STOREY, Hannah (Mrs, ~).
Address: 74 Richmond Road, Handsworth, ~ in 1925.
Recorded in: Sheffield & Rotherham Kelly?s Directory.

Vicki

Vickie Thank you so much.

I am wondering as all our family are from Sheffield and if this is the correct Thomas did he go to Sheffield to visit my Gt. Grandma Cutler nee Storey from Harthill she died in 19i6 I am pretty sure Thomas was her brother trying to make the connection.

This family has been very complicated and yes the Storeys did come from Harthill Barnabus Storey was their Grandfather.

Thanks again

Kathleen

The burial for Hannah Storey, widow 75, from 74 Richmond Road is on this site, 1933 at Intake. In the same grave is Tom Storey, miner 69 buried 1923.
Dave

Hi Dave
Thank you but this Hannah and Thomas were both born in Sheffield.

IN 1891 at High Street, Harthill, Thomas Storey aged 44yrs, coal miner, born Harthill is lodging with John and Hannah Manderville. John is 68 and Hannah is 47 and born Whitwell, Dby.
John Manderville of Harthill aged 73yrs, buried 25 December 1896 at Harthill.

In the Dec Quarter of 1899, Worksop, 7b 97, there is a marriage between a
Thomas Storey and Hannah Mary Manderville.

1901, High Street, Harthill.
Thomas Storey, head, mar, 54yrs, coal miner-hewer, born Harthill.
Hannah M. Storey, wife, 60yrs, born Whitwell, Dby.
Lily Storey, grand daug, 9yrs, born Harthill.

1911 Harthill, Harthill with Woodall.
Tom Storey, head 64yrs, coal miner-hewer, born Harthill.
Mary Storey, wife, 72yrs, born Whitwell, Dby.

Hannah Mary Storey of 106 Firvale aged 83yrs, buried 21 Dec 1932 at Harthill.
(There are other burials under the address of Fir Vale. Do not think it is
the Sheffield one but might be wrong).

Hannah Mary's birth year fluctuates between 1841 and 1849!

The only baptism I could find for Lily, born circa 1892 was at Christ Church,
Gleadless, bap 6 May 1891 born 15 Mar 1891, parents Tom and Hannah of Hollins End,
miner.

Is she Tom and Hannah's child born before her husband John died?

Moira.

Hi Moira

Thank you yes Thomas was a boarder with John and Hannah Manderville and when John Manderville died Thomas married Hannah and Hannah came with Grandaughter Lily. Lily finished up at Killamarsh were she got married.

My problem is Sarah Storey daughter of Barnabus gave birth to an Elizabeth and a Thomas Storey
no Father now a Thomas and Elizabeth correct age were living with Barnabus as his grandchildren. Sarah never seemed to have the children and went on to marry Wm. Littlewood

What I am trying to find out is Elizabeth my Gt. Grandma on every census she never deviates from born 1840 Harthill which makes me think she didn't know her exact date I have sent for birth certificates but no luck none are correct she died 1916 however there is one for Thomas correct age 1847 at Worksop Warehouse again no Father.

It looks like I will have to wait for the death certificate of Thomas to see if it gives me any clues
Thank You

Kathleen

According to GRO , between 1838 and 1842 there was only one Elizabeth Storey ( incl Story) born illegitimate in England and Wales.
That was Elizabeth Storey born q3 1839 in Howden, which is near Goole, 40 miles from Harthill. Have you seen that birth cert?
Dave

Hi. Dave
No I didn't send for that one think it may be a bit far away I do have the George Story one in Worksop but was not correct anyway I just hope the Certificate for Thomas may help thank you anyway
Kathleen

Kathleen,
If she was born illegitimate away from Harthill then went to be brought up by her mother's parents in Harthill she would grow up thinking she was born in Harthill. Only 3 people woluld know where she was born and why should they tell her? My own mother did not know where she was born, because she assumed she was born where she grew up
With a birth in q3 1839 means her age in the censuses would be 1, 11,21,31 etc so she is a very good match. Perhaps her mother was in service in the Goole area.
Dave

Hi

The birth might not be registered.

Many births were not recorded during the early years of civil registration. Parents were only legally obliged to inform a registrar of the details of a birth if the registrar demanded them.

Many people thought that a child's baptism was a legal alternative to registration. The position improved from 1875 when the Births and Deaths Act 1874 imposed a duty upon those present at a birth or death to report it to a registrar. There were fines for non-registration and penalties for late registration ( more than 42 days after a birth). Despite this some births and deaths after 1875 have not been recorded. In order to avoid paying a late registration penalty some parents reported a later (incorrect) date of birth for a child.

Angela

Hi Angela

You would think after all these years of research I would have known that but I didn't so thank you for such a detailed explanation.

I am wondering if this is so with Elizabeth she was Baptised in Harthill in 1841 that is if this is my Gt. Grandma.

The only thing that puzzles me is when she married my Gt. Grandad Thomas Cutler she gives her father as George Storey Farm Labourer so very complicated will get there in the end I hope.

Thank Again

Kathleen

Dave
Thank you I am going to see first if I can find and Elizabeth from Howden on a census.

Kathleen

Kathleen, it was not uncommon for illegitimates to invent a father for their marriage registration.
Another cert for you to consider:
According to GRO In q4 1839 an illegitimate girl with name Storey was registered in Worksop with no first name registered. There is no matching death soon afterwards so presumably this child received a first name later r(Perhaps at baptism).
If you do not have a birth registration, how do you know that Elizabeth was born illegitimate?
Dave
Ps incidentally there is a death of a 1 yr old Elizabeth Storey in Worksop in 1840 , but there is no corresponding birth record in Worksop.

Dave

I only know because the Parish Records are on line Genuki Harthill Sarah the mother in both cases of an Elizabeth and Thomas was I am sure the daughter of Barnabus grandchildren being with him in 1851 and in 61 she was a servant at Hydes always saying Harthill as her birth.

Did wonder if she had invented a Father I do have photos of her she looks a very stern lady by the end of the week I should have the death certificate of Thomas will let you know if it helps I just wanted to know who her family was.

Thanks again we will get there hopefully.

Kathleen

Hi Moira, The reason for the burials from Fir Vale could be the Fir Vale Hospital which is now the Northern General. regards Barry.

Kathleen, it looks like Elizabeth Story born 1939 was in Eastrington (Howden) in 1841 census. She was not with Sarah so I guess you can eliminate her.
Dave

Hi Kathleen,

Have you checked out this phonetic BMD search for Elizabeth Storey

Elizabeth Story - Reg Dist: Worksop Vol.15 Page 667
Birth Reg: 1942

If Elizabeth was born in 1840 one would think she would have been on the 1841 census with Barnabus & family which included Sarah, (Elizabeth's proposed mother).

Also, on the 1851 census for Barnabus & family, Elizabeth, his granddaughter, is shown as 9 years old, placing her birth at 1841/42 and Thomas as 4 years old (circa 1846/47).

HAPPY HUNTING
Wendy in Guelph:sleuth_or_spy:

Thanks Wendy yes I sent for the Worksop certificate but the address is in Worksop and not the one. I have to say as I have gone along I am more convinced The Elizabeth with Barnabus is the one with the connection with Sheffield Thomas although always in Harthill up to 1911 he died in Sheffield 1918 were Elizabeth lived and died in 1916.

The most annoying thing is there is a connection with Killamarsh and the Storeys when my Grandma died in her paper work was a post card advertising a Taxi Firm to Gt Grandma but can I find it no (sods law as they say)

Kathleen

Hi Dave and everyone who has replied to my query I am doing a loud YES !! the Thomas that I sent the death certificate for is the Grandson of Barnabus and the brother I am certain of Elizabeth Storey.

When he goes to Sheffield he is living with Mary Carr nee Mandeville Thomas married her mother a widow and John Carr the brother of Mary's husband is living in Harvey Clough Road and that is where Elizabeth was so I am convinced this Is Thomas and Elizabeth from Harthill even one of the Carr children was born in Harthill.

So once more thank you all

Kathleen

Hi Kathleen,
If you look on www.genuki.org.uk and go to West Riding parishes and then click on Harthill there are baptisms, marriages and burials for All Hallows church, Harthill available if you scroll down. The baptisms are actually listed under marriage banns.

I found the following:-
Baptism on 25 July 1782 for Barnabas Storey, son of Stephen, nailer.

Baptism on 11 July 1841 for Elizabeth Storey, illegitimate daughter of Sarah of Harthill, single woman.

Marriage on 14 February 1809 between Barnabas Storey of Harthill and Sarah Widdowson of Killamarsh, Derbyshire (banns).

There is a Firvale in Harthill.

Margaret

Hi Margaret thank you yes this site was where I first found the family but wanted to be sure this Elizabeth baptised in 1841 was my Gt. Grandma and now after many years I am convinced it is her after the death certificate of Thomas.

Kathleen