Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Query: City Road Cemetery records 1 Nov 1918 (HALES)

Hi David,

As far as City Road is concerned I will check into it.

The address you are having problems with is as follows.

"Second, is "10ct 3 Matilda St" a typo?"

Sheffield had many many courtyards and I dont think any are left, probably cleared in the 1960's

If you can visualize a courtyard with 10+ houses in it with one house facing the street
which in this case would be #3.

BUT...... Could it be 10ct 3h Matilda st. Meaning the 10th court on Matilda St and the 3rd house in that court.

This site might help.
https://www.bl.uk/romantics-and-victorians/articles/slums

I will be back re the others issue.

Elaine in Ottawa

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Elaine - many thanks for your rapid reply, with the helpful suggestions about the courtyards.

David

Hi David,

Took me a while to find the entry and I am loath to say which one it is.

The clerk at City Road in 1918 was a busy man and the registers where all hand printed.

I will try and send you a copy (e-mail) of the page and you can see what you make of it.

Regards

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Elaine - many thanks for taking the trouble to find the image and email it to me! I think the squiggles can be read as "mos" (for "months"). As you say, the clerk was very busy at the time - I read that 1332 people in Sheffield died from the 'flu in October and November 1918...

The address is clearly 10 Ct 3, Matilda St as in the transcription; there are several similar ones on the same page.

Thanks again, David

Morning Dave,

I have magnified both of the girls ages again this morning and to be honest I would say that Minnie is months but Olive could be hrs. BUT logic would say they are the same and I probably will change our database to read months. Dave Thorpe one of our Forum monitors is having a look at it and we will decide one way or the other shortly.

The squiggles will be conquered. LOL.

Elaine in Ottawa.

David, I am in no doubt that it is months in both cases. That fits with the birth and death civil registrations. The civil death registrations give more detail. Minnie was the first to die because she was registered on the earliest page. Olive was registered exactly 200 pages later, meaning that between the two about 1000 other deaths were registered. These 1000 burials took place over a period of 30th October to 6 th November. (check the burials of others registered on the same pages).
Fred was registered just a few pages before Olive.
Two questions remain: why the two addresses and why are the twins registered with ages one month apart?

If you look at others in the same grave as Fred, olive and Minnie there is also an Elizabeth Yeardley who died 1930 at 110 Matilda St.
She was Fred's mother- in -law. I suggest that the twins died at the home of their maternal grandmother. It must have been very difficult for their mother to look after sick twins and a sick husband. Her situation is unimaginable and her mother must have helped.
It is likely that one of the twins was registered by their mother and the other by their grandmother, which may explain the one month difference in their recorded ages.
Dave

Dave - many thanks for this, and particularly for noting the information that can be gleaned from the difference in page numbers in the GRO death registers.

My first reaction was to think that you were probably right about Frederick's mother-in-law Ellen Yeardley looking after the twins during the epidemic.

However, on checking the 1911 census, I found that she was living with 3 grown-up children, and 2 boarders, in 110 Matilda Street, i.e. the same address as in 1930. In the same census, 10 Court 3 Matilda St was occupied by a family called Woodhouse. (The wife, Grace, "Does nothing at all" for Occupation!) So perhaps the situation was more complicated - unless Ellen moved to and fro over the years (not impossible)?

(It does confirm that "10 Court 3 Matilda St" was a real address.)

I might be able to learn more by ordering the death certificates from the GRO.

Incidentally Frederick and his wife Florence had another child, also Florence (b. 1914), who did survive.

All these details really bring home to me the appalling effects of the 1918 pandemic on people living in a crowded city...

Thanks again,

David

Hi Dave,

Had to chuckle at:...... and being a WOODHOUSE descendant/researcher

"In the same census, 10 Court 3 Matilda St was occupied by a family called Woodhouse. (The wife, Grace, "Does nothing at all" for Occupation!)"

I dont know if you are aware of the Allan Godfrey maps that would also give you a better idea of the "yard" situation in Sheffield.

The one that shows Matilda St is Yorkshire Sheet 294.12
which shows Sheffield Park 1903.
They cost me about 3 pounds if I remember correctly. They are very interesting.

Regards

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi David,

Have changed the ages of the twins to read 6 & 7 mths not hrs.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Thanks, Elaine!

David